American Pale Ale Gurus.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
Morning All,

Any APA Gurus out there ?

this being my first, i'd just like a bit of feedback on my recipe, I'm not a huge hophead but i'd still like it close to style, any idea how hoppy this will be on the nose ?
just don't want it overpowering.

4000 Pale
1500 Pils
.500 Munich 1

Mash @ 65
60 min Boil

10 Gm Perle FWH
10 Gm Simcoe FWH
10 Gm Amarillo @ 20 min
10 Gm Cascade @ 10 min
10 Gm Amarillo @ Flame Out
10 Gm Cascade @ Flame Out

Cheers
Yard

Morning All,

Any APA Gurus out there ?

this being my first, i'd just like a bit of feedback on my recipe, I'm not a huge hophead but i'd still like it close to style, any idea how hoppy this will be on the nose ?
just don't want it overpowering.

4000 Pale
1500 Pils
.500 Munich 1

Mash @ 65
60 min Boil

10 Gm Perle FWH
10 Gm Simcoe FWH
10 Gm Amarillo @ 20 min
10 Gm Cascade @ 10 min
10 Gm Amarillo @ Flame Out
10 Gm Cascade @ Flame Out

Cheers
Yard

Looks ok yard, hopefully you'll get some feedback from Browndog and Jye, go with Browndogs advice :lol: :lol:

That hop schedule is a nice start for an APA but wont be very hoppy or aromatic. I would at least move the flame out additions to dry hops.

If you want some good examples of APAs that are to style have a hunt around for a SNPA or SFPA recipe.

Looks ok yard, hopefully you'll get some feedback from Browndog and Jye, go with Browndogs advice :lol: :lol:

HEY... nah youre probably right, go with BD :lol:

That hop schedule is a nice start for an APA but wont be very hoppy or aromatic. I would at least move the flame out additions to dry hops.

I always dry hopped as well but nowadays I use the flame out addition instead. Around 1gpl at flame out or a bit more. Not saying that anyone should not dry hop, though it does cut back that little extra time. I have always got some sought of APA on tap or in bottles at all times.

BYB

ok thanks fellas, how does 20 gm of both Amarillo & Cascade at FO to up the aromatics a tad ?

Cheers
Yard

I've taken to adding a small amount (20-50g) of chocolate malt to my APAs. It adds a very subtle, indefinable something to the flavour and I *think* it might have helped increase clarity a little...

I reckon you should change the FWH additions to 60min additions, leave the rest as they are, but add a dry hop of 20g of whatever combo you fancy. On the other hand, I'd just go with what Jye said :)

cheers

Browndog

ok thanks fellas, how does 20 gm of both Amarillo & Cascade at FO to up the aromatics a tad ?

Its a nice start but I still think an APA needs to be dry hopped. Have you ever DH before Yardy?

BD I was going to suggest moving the FWHs to 20min but Yardy said he wasnt a hophead, so I kept that opinion to myself :p

I reckon you should change the FWH additions to 60min additions, leave the rest as they are, but add a dry hop of 20g of whatever combo you fancy.

+1

Rack it and add 10g each of cascade and amarillo into the secondary for a fantastic aroma

I reckon you should change the FWH additions to 60min additions, leave the rest as they are, but add a dry hop of 20g of whatever combo you fancy. On the other hand, I'd just go with what Jye said :)

cheers

Browndog

Hey Browny,

OK, I'll go with the 60 min instead of FWH, what's your reasoning though ? Dry Hopping seems to be the general consensus here so I'll go with that also :)

Cheers
Yard

Its a nice start but I still think an APA needs to be dry hopped. Have you ever DH before Yardy?

BD I was going to suggest moving the FWHs to 20min but Yardy said he wasnt a hophead, so I kept that opinion to myself :p

Hey Jye,

Yeah, out of about 30 odd AG brews I've probably DH'd 3 or 4, i was happy with the results but i suppose it's one of those things that I don't bother with all that often, as I said above, you guys seem to think that DH is needed here so that's what I'll do, thanks for the replies :)

+1

Rack it and add 10g each of cascade and amarillo into the secondary for a fantastic aroma

Hey Schooey,

Will do, got some Saaz there as well, out of place do you think ?

Cheers
Yard

I'd up the mash temp to 66-67degC (as you are adding some Pils to the grist that will facilitate a lower FG).
I'd also move the FWH to 60 mins (as per others suggestions as you are not hop loading this beer).
Definitely go the dry hops, or if you have the ability a hopback.

Beers,
Doc

Not sure on the Saaz, Yardy. I've never used it in an APA, but as far as I know (others probably know more?) I don't think it would be out of place. If you already have the Cascade and Amarillo, I'd just stick with them, keep it simple.

I should add mate, my experience is limited only to 3 APA's I've brewed over the past months. The first I did without the rack and dry hops, the latter two with. I definitely found the latter two a better beer, fantastic on the nose.

Hey Browny,

OK, I'll go with the 60 min instead of FWH, what's your reasoning though ? Dry Hopping seems to be the general consensus here so I'll go with that also

I don't want to get this thread all hijacked, but I think FWH is a crock and a waste of good bittering hops Yardy. I can back this up with witness to two brews Ross did to test out FWHing, as he will testify, the beer that was FWHed did not live up to the hype of the time. I tend to think it was just a fad.

cheers

Browndog

I don't want to get this thread all hijacked, but I think FWH is a crock and a waste of good bittering hops Yardy. I can back this up with witness to two brews Ross did to test out FWHing, as he will testify, the beer that was FWHed did not live up to the hype of the time. I tend to think it was just a fad.

+1

Same goes for mash hopping.

Ive dry hopped with cascade pellets a few times and had very grassy results. Not sure if the pellets were poor quality.

The first time I just threw the hops into the keg Grass
The second didnt put much is and didnt really notice anything.
Third time the guy at the homebrew shop recommended using a coffee plunger, heating then plunging and pooring the hop tea in Grassy again.

So I gave up on the idea.

Ive read this is common with cascade pellets.

How long are the hops in for? Some people limit the dry hopping to 7-10 days to prevent grassiness. Either rack/keg/bottle when the times up. I normally dry hop after 3-5 days of fermentation.

I'd up the mash temp to 66-67degC (as you are adding some Pils to the grist that will facilitate a lower FG).
I'd also move the FWH to 60 mins (as per others suggestions as you are not hop loading this beer).
Definitely go the dry hops, or if you have the ability a hopback.

Beers,
Doc

Hey Doc,
Thanks for the reply, didn't know that about the Pils.
Been thinking about building a hopback, the current job I'm on has some loverly SS Pipe just laying around :ph34r: :lol:

Not sure on the Saaz, Yardy. I've never used it in an APA, but as far as I know (others probably know more?) I don't think it would be out of place. If you already have the Cascade and Amarillo, I'd just stick with them, keep it simple.

I should add mate, my experience is limited only to 3 APA's I've brewed over the past months. The first I did without the rack and dry hops, the latter two with. I definitely found the latter two a better beer, fantastic on the nose.

Hey Schooey,

yeah, your'e probably right about the Saaz, Cascade & Amarillo it is.

Cheers
Yard

cheers

Browndog

No problem with off topic mate, maybe some hops lend themselves to FWH more so than others, I've only FWH'd 3 brews but I definitely found the bitterness to be smoother.
It could be technique also, once I've got about 50mm of wort into the Kettle i kick the burner in the guts, not full heat though.

Cheers
Yard

btw Jye, never tried mash hopping but after a chat with Ross i agree.

cheers

Browndog

My bad, I got FWH mixed up with mash hopping :huh: I'd still change it to 60mins though, so at least you can accurately predict your IBUs.

cheers

Browndog

no problem Browny, looks like I'll have time to get this down soon, hopefully <_<

Cheers
Yard

Back