American Lite Lager Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
Browsing through my brew books today and opened up "The Hombrewers Companion" by Charlie Papazian, this took me back to all those years ago when I first started All Grain brewing.
Trying a style I have never brewed before, American Lite Lager.

Before anyone asks why? It's only because I can, and it's a bit of a nostalgia trip :p .

How does this look.
I'm using the Bavarian Lager yeast to get a bit of malt complexity.

Recipe: St Louis Golden Lager
Brewer: Andrew Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: Lite American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 29.22 L
Estimated OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated Color: 4.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pilsner Malt, (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 75.00 %
1.00 kg White Rice (2.0 EBC) Grain 25.00 %
15.00 gm Pacific Hallertauer, New Zealand [5.30 %] Hops 8.3 IBU
8.00 gm Hallertauer Aroma N.Z [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
6.00 gm Hallertauer Aroma N.Z [8.50 %] (0 min) (ArHops -
0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
10 min Mash in Add 12.00 L of water at 46.7 C 42.0 C
15 min Add Rice boiled witAdd 4.00 L of water at 96.7 C 54.0 C
40 min Sacch Rest Heat to 62.0 C over 10 min 62.0 C
20 min Sacch Rest Heat to 72.0 C over 10 min 72.0 C
10 min Mash out Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min 78.0 C

I know the mash schedule looks a bit involved but I am happy with my previous brews using this schedule.

As soon as I read the name St Louis Golden Lager I remembered wondering where I was going to get flaked rice from all those years ago. CAP is a nice beer, good luck with it Andrew. The recipe looks the goods. I usually rest at 63-64 degrees. :D

As soon as I read the name St Louis Golden Lager I remembered wondering where I was going to get flaked rice from all those years ago. CAP is a nice beer, good luck with it Andrew. The recipe looks the goods. I usually rest at 63-64 degrees. :D

Thanks Razz, I've just finished the mash and transfered into the boiler. Thought I might get a stuck mash with all that rice but everything went smoothly. 1 kilo of rice certainly effected the Eff. into the boiler 88.5% instead of my usual 80% :huh: . And is this wort super light in color!!

Andrew

This is probably a bit late, like most of my posts, but doesn't the yeast have a fair say in this profile?

The Wyeast W2007 is the American lager yeast (Buttwiser), and would give a more traditional/appropriate profile. FWIW.

If you use the W2206, which is a great yeast, you may see a more malty profile than you want in this style, for balance.

Les goes back to the hop garden now.

This is probably a bit late, like most of my posts, but doesn't the yeast have a fair say in this profile?

The Wyeast W2007 is the American lager yeast (Buttwiser), and would give a more traditional/appropriate profile. FWIW.

If you use the W2206, which is a great yeast, you may see a more malty profile than you want in this style, for balance.

Les goes back to the hop garden now.

No, your not too late Les, It's sitting in a cube at the moment and I won't have a free fermenter for a few days yet.
And I agree with what you say, I only had the bavarian lager yeast on hand but had been debating ordering something a little more neutral.

The brew ended up a little more robust due to my higher efficiency so It can't be called a Lite Lager anymore, finished at 1.045 and I adjusted the hops throughout the boil up to 20 IBU so I guess it's more of a premium American lager.

I've got Budvar 2000 in the fridge, do you think that might be more appropriate?

Cheers
Andrew

I have been planing something similar early next year when summer is in full swing.

Im going to use Weyermann Premium pils and Flaked Maize to keep the colour as low as possible.

I have a pack of 2007 in he fridge for it as well. I have used it before and its a great yeast. ITs malty but a lot more crisper (that was for you Les) than 2206. A malty yeast like this or the best of all.... WLP833, work well in a CAP where there is more bitterness to ballance IMO.

The 2007 does need a good month in CC though from memory. I recal the first time i used it it took a month before it lost that "sweetness" without CC'ing but was a lot better when CC'd for a few weeks.

I was thinking an 80/20 grist of Pils/Maize and bitter hops only with a mix of cluster and saaz. Maybe i will just use B-saaz.

Ahhh youve got me thinking on this one now.

cheers

Latest posts

Back