American IPA Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im a massive hop head and love making/drinking a solid IPA. I have used US05, 1056, 1272, So4 ad of recent made one with Dennys Fav #50 for the BIPA which turned out great.

Thinking for my next AIPA to try M44 west coast or simply use 1056 again but would like to know which yeast you would consider your favourite for making a AIPA @ 1068OG and 60IBU?

Dan

1272, no question.

BRY-97 is pretty good with a big pitch.

My favourite is 1272 (which you've tried I see) as it comes out with a slight nutiness, but mostly neutral, under all those hops it can be hard to tell.

I've heard good things about 1084 Irish Ale yeast doing a good job in APAs and IPAs. I'm trying it with an american amber in the next month or so.

WLP090 "Super San Diego". It's like 1056 on steroids, every good thing about 1056 just better. Same "clean" profile but higher attenuation and great flocculation.

I like using Irish ale, 1056, 05 for AIPA's (pacman is also works a treat), and british ale (think 1098?) for IPA's. I also used whitelabs mexican lager yeast once to good effect.

bum said:
BRY-97 is pretty good with a big pitch.
Sorry to take it a bit OT, but when you say a big pitch do you mean the recommended rate of 1 g/L (~2 packs for a 22 L batch) or even more than that? I ask becuase I pitched an AIPA at the recommended rate (2 x 11 g packs in 22 L) and it was a beast! 1.060 down to 1.014 in 3 days. I was actually thinking next time I'd just stick with 1 pack as the yeast cake I ended up with is significantly larger than when I've used appropriate sized pitches of other yeasts for similar batches, so I thought I might have actually pitched more than necessary with the BRY-97.

But from your quote I'm guessing from your experience you wouldn't recommend pitching just 1 pack?

EDIT: Oh. and to go back on topic, I like US05/1056 in AIPA, but once this current batch is ready to drink I might have to add BRY-97 to the list.

1272 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best for hoppy A(I)PA's

I was leaning well towards using 1272 again as it will be a beer right after my pale ale so I can get a double use from one pack. The M44 is in the fridge but I have heard it strips the hop aroma so Im leaving that for something else. ....Irish 1084 is an option for sure, that yeast will ferment alot of beers clean and crisp, dry too at 16c.

That super san diego sounds awesome but my LHBS only carry wyeast, maybe i can locate some from the syndey area.

1332 Northwest Ale could be something for a change.

I just bought a pack of 1272 from Craftbrewer on the way home. Will be making a hoppy APA this weekend. Seems like a good choice after reading this thread.

Actually. I just looked at the pack. It is actually 1217. West Coast IPA. Manufactured 03 Oct 2013.

It's not on the Craftbrewer site but a quick Google has it as a PC limited release.

Looking forward to trying it.

BTW. I am sipping on a Rogue Dead Guy Ale as we speak (write). Nice but not $12 a bottle nice.

Back