American Ale Yeast Aka 1056

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Anyone used this dry yeast from Craftbrewer. I have several times and find it to be an extremely fast working yeast. When it gets going I get an airlock bloop every 3 secs and it can take a 1045 brew down to 1012 in 5 days.

Anyway, I love it and it gives a great tasting ale

It's repacked Safale US-05. Craftbrewer can't call the 12g packs that, as they repackage it from the originally labeled Saf 500g bricks. It is a great yeast for a quick clean ale.

It's repacked Safale US-05. Craftbrewer can't call the 12g packs that, as they repackage it from the originally labeled Saf 500g bricks. It is a great yeast for a quick clean ale.

:huh: I should have realised this eh.

Ferments well cool, ie 16 or 17 deg C too!

I put a fresh wort down on sunday using US-05 and its down to 1004 today

Got home tonight to find my 500g block had arrived. Question is how do I messure it out and store it.

I guess I could messure the block and work out its volume, then divide by 40 to get the volume I need for each brew. Sure havent got a scale accurate enough to weigh it.

I've noticed it gets pretty sluggish around 16C sometimes. 18C has given me good results, and fairly quick/clean fermentation.

Got home tonight to find my 500g block had arrived. Question is how do I messure it out and store it.

I guess I could messure the block and work out its volume, then divide by 40 to get the volume I need for each brew. Sure havent got a scale accurate enough to weigh it.

Do as Craftbrewer does and (after opening) repackage without delay into brew sized oxygen barrier packages preferrably vaccuum packed but at the very least push as much air out as you can.
US05 is a great (if boring) yeast but like all dried yeasts needs to be stored correctly..and that means..no air/oxygen... Think of those packages of factory sealed dry yeasts like UHT milk but with a tad more leeway. UHT is going to last for quite some time but once it is opened its just milk (odd tasting yes but milk none the less) and going to sour just as quick as fresh milk.
At least with your yeast you now have a couple of days to package it, properly.

K

Do as Craftbrewer does and (after opening) repackage without delay into brew sized oxygen barrier packages preferrably vaccuum packed but at the very least push as much air out as you can.
US05 is a great (if boring) yeast but like all dried yeasts needs to be stored correctly..and that means..no air/oxygen... Think of those packages of factory sealed dry yeasts like UHT milk but with a tad more leeway. UHT is going to last for quite some time but once it is opened its just milk (odd tasting yes but milk none the less) and going to sour just as quick as fresh milk.
At least with your yeast you now have a couple of days to package it, properly.

K

This sounds scary. Where do I get oxygen barrier packages.

Could I keep it in a airproof container in the freezer and just take out whats needed on brewday. The missus does this with bread yeast with no problems

Back