Am I Ready To Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vchead

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know its a basic question but I haven't had quite this situation before. My FG is down to 1005 but Krausen is still thick and strong and it's 2 weeks now. Recipe is;

Lager goo
BE2
150g Dex
150g LDM
150 G Carapils steeped and boiled
15g Cascade tea bag
US05
Initial gravity was 1050

Have kept temp at constant 17 deg. Krausen has been healthy all along. Don't know if it's bubbling because of crappy airlock on screw lid that never works and CO2 escapes around seal.

My thoughts are to go by the FG which seems obvious but not sure if I am missing something. Am intending to bottle tonight but don't want bottle bombs,

Cheers,

VC

If you have 3 FG readings the same over 3 days, bottle it, it's done. US-05 is a pretty good yeast for eating up sugars IMO. Your lager goo didn't happen to come with a dry enzyme did it? If so did you use it?

If you have 3 FG readings the same over 3 days, bottle it, it's done. US-05 is a pretty good yeast for eating up sugars IMO. Your lager goo didn't happen to come with a dry enzyme did it? If so did you use it?

No dry enzyme. FG same over 2 days but just wasn't sure why the Krausen hadn't cleared.

Thanks,

VC

Being a Larger it wont hurt to stay on the yeast cake for upto 3-4 weeks. you may even find it is better. Plenty of other forums about this if you do a search.

Thanks guys. I know it sounds amateurish but I have always used the FG as a guide but this is the only time in 18 months I have seen the Krausen hanging around with such a low FG.

Still not sure why. Need to bottle this week.

city morgue 2 are you there? Cortez?

VC

Back