Am I Just Too Organised?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

On the back bloody porch!
Reaction score
Before venturing down the AG path id read tales of 9, 10 even 11 hour brew days, which kinda put me orf. Now after my 3rd im wondering how on earth it would take someone that long to make a simple, single batch of all grain beer? Now im not trying to blow my own trumpet but the first one took 5 hrs and the last two took 4 hours (the last being on Saturday afternoon - very pleasnt it was too). So im just wondering if people intentionally fiddle n fart around to spend longer in their carport, shed, garage rather than going inside to do other less interesting things instead? Are you a "fiddle farter" or are you a "right, lets get this thing done quick sharp" type of person?
Cheers
Steve

P.S. No matter how hard I try I always end up being pissed at the end of brew day. Is this common? :beer:

Before venturing down the AG path id read tales of 9, 10 even 11 hour brew days, which kinda put me orf. Now after my 3rd im wondering how on earth it would take someone that long to make a simple, single batch of all grain beer? Now im not trying to blow my own trumpet but the first one took 5 hrs and the last two took 4 hours (the last being on Saturday afternoon - very pleasnt it was too). So im just wondering if people intentionally fiddle n fart around to spend longer in their carport, shed, garage rather than going inside to do other less interesting things instead? Are you a "fiddle farter" or are you a "right, lets get this thing done quick sharp" type of person?
Cheers
Steve

P.S. No matter how hard I try I always end up being pissed at the end of brew day. Is this common? :beer:

Don't know about these 9hr brew days, my average has been about 4.5 hrs (no-chill of course), longest was 5.5 hours for a double decoction.

I was actually thinking that myself.... From what I've read about AG'ing I find it hard to believe more than 4 hours...

However, I'll be attending a demo sometime soon(cheers DJR) So I guess I'll see the difference in techniques between partial and full AG!

Steve,

My first AG took me about 7 hours, but I think part of that is because I used a two ring burner and it took forever to get to a rolling boil. (I'd estimate about 2.5 hours)

I timed my boil yesterday, My new Nasa took 18minutes and 5 seconds to get a rolling boil (and then a boilover about 2 seconds later. Whole day took me 4 1/2 hours, but that includes cleaning some left over gear I'd discovered I'd forgotten to do last weekend, and cleaning up at the end of this weekend.

I also save about 20 minutes by using the 'no chiller" method. :p

Thommo

try a triple decocotion, pissy gas burner, 100 minute boil and a hand operated mill......

yes, getting pissed is "normal" :)

Some people do longer mashes, longer boils etc

If you experience a stuck sparge that can throw your timing out also.

Depending on whether you do a "no-chill" method or if you have a very effective chiller or not will also alter the timing of the day.

Lots of variables, not just "fiddle farting" around

Usually about 6 hours for me.
90 min mash, 60+ min sparge, 90 min boil, 30 minute transfer to fermenter (40 litres).
Includes cleanup and pitching yeast, re-propogating starter etc.

Doc

Mine are usually between 5-6 hours.

But when I use the 'No Brew' method it is instananeous. :p

No waiting at all.

cheers
johnno

Around 6 hours from mashing in to cleanup for me. :)

Thursday night's session was 30 minutes...

Did a G&G fresh wort kit. Smellin' good in the fermenting fridge too. :D

Warren -

I average around 5-6hrs but I'm sure I can bring down if I get another NASA or mongolian burner for my boiling stage. The 3 ring takes a bit longer to achieve the required rolling boil.

I must admit I'm an all day bloke, but I'm new to AG.
I seem to spend all my time trying to achieve and maintain target temps. I use promash to give me quantities and H2O temps. but so far they have not achieved the targets so I'm madly boiling/heating more water to add. (Think it is the thermal mass of the MLT that throws the calcs). Then I start to get too high a grain to water ratio so start decanting wort off to boil and add back to the mash to adjust the temp.
Then fly sparging seems to be a joke as you are draining the wort off so slowly that by the time the water at sparge temp gets into the MLT it's way below temp and I start stressing trying to get the temp. back up...and of course it never does.
Having only two containers does not help (MLT & a combined HLT/Kettle). It means sparging into two fermenters, then siphioning back into the HLT/Kettle while trying to prevent HSA.
I'm sure with practice and more equipment (going HERMS eventually) I will get the times down to what you pros are doing, but what the heck I have fun trying :D .

still partialing here,
but about 4 hours with a 60 min mash and same for boil, 40 min chill in the tub of ice/salt.

rest is clean up, farting around and trips to the keg :chug:

probably will do AG faster as there is no Tin of LME to open :p

cheers

yard

it usually takes me about 5 hours. sometimes more sometimes less. depends on how organised i am and how long i mash for.

About 8 hours:
- 4.0 hr mash (6 or 7 temperature rests)
- 1.5 hr sparge
- 0.5 hr to get it boiling
- 1.5 hr boil
- 0.5 hr to whirlpool, chill and pitch yeast

Anyone takes long than me is definitely having a fiddle.

I usually don't have a beer until the boil is going, but my last brew was an AFD. :eek:

Cheers, Andrew.

Back