Alternative To Coopers Bavarian Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malbur

Reaction score
I was going to have a go at citymorgue's K+K plus, brown bavarian mongrel lager, in the recipe DB but couldn't find coopers bavarian any where.
When i checked the website it has got, (discontinued line) next to it.
Can any one suggest an alternative kit for this recipe?
all comments welcome.

I was going to have a go at citymorgue's K+K plus, brown bavarian mongrel lager, in the recipe DB but couldn't find coopers bavarian any where.
When i checked the website it has got, (discontinued line) next to it.
Can any one suggest an alternative kit for this recipe?
all comments welcome.

Coopers Replaced the Bavarian with their European Larger. After 10 weeks in the bottle I cracked one and it was pretty close to the bavarian from what i remember.

I couldnt tell you if its suitable for your kit though, sorry

Grain and grape have a few cans of the Bavarian left if your quick. Ive been playing around with a few things to replicate/improve given that its been discontinued. I havent given the Euro lager a try but it shouldnt be too differant. I have been working on an extract version which Im going to post shortly. Going to use it for the Vic July caseswap.

The main idea behind the Brown Bav Mongrel Lager was that I wanted to put a brew down but didnt have enough ingredients and it was a sunday.. hence the mongrel. Its the choc grain and Dark DME that give it some character. The high % alc also gives it a nice warmth for autumn (~6.5% after bottling).

I was really happy with it and ThirstyBoy tried it at the Xmas caseswap and liked it also. My tentitive caseswap version is below if its any interest. Im thinking of throwing 50g of Melanoidin in to give a bit more buscuity flavour to make it a bit more of a brown lager. but its a mongrel so who cares?!

Brown Bavarian Mongrel Lager - Extract
2kg LDME
1.1kg DDME
200g carapils
200g crystal (colour - 160)
200g Choc Grain,
50g Melanoidin grain
12g craftbrewer Swiss yeast (s-189),
40g Halleratau @60
10g saaz @15min,
10 saaz @ 10 min
15g saaz @)
OG - 1.059, FG - 1.018
ferment @ 8-10C for 3 weeks, condition @ 2C for 2 weeks.

Back