Alternative Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy

Reaction score
i want to have 2x 11.5L fermenters so i can buy 1 brew kit, split the can between 2 fermenters, and add different ingredients to each. Basically speeding up the experimentation process. But i dont wanna spend hard earnt coin, so was wondering if anyone had any ideas about an easy to find, cheap alternative for a fermenter vessel up to about 15 litres?

Maybe check your local bakery etc for those plastic pails that ive seen them sell or give away.Drill a hole fit a grommet and airlock and tap or syphon when ready and your away.

Cheers
Big D

One of the blue springwater bottles from the water coolers? provided you can get one legally of course. 15 litres if I remember correctly.

I switched to bucket fermenters recently with auto syphon - wish i had always used this system!!

I found a local wholesaler of food grade plastic buckets - hunt round - some hardware places /supercheap are known to stockem. Very cheap -$8 for 20L and less for 10l and 15

lou

If you have a fermenter spare you can just split it between two. It won't hurt. Otherwise source some buckets like big d says.

Got any local Markets....ICE CREAM MAN...ETC....(i get big pails $2.00)
Bakery ...large and smalll...zilch...
MACCAS......zilch
DELI......zilch
Local Pub...For CC...zilch......
And many more places....keep an eye open when y
PJou are shopping...

[Sorry Foxy if any advice below has been offered prior. This post took longer than expected. The site was running really slow so it took ages to find the 2 linkis I included below. Cheers]

Hi there Foxy,

So many things that you could use! Great suggestions above. Only things that I can think of in adddition are...

a) Don't worry about your fermenter being larger than you need. Because carbon dioxide is being exhaled by the yeast, airspace above the level of your fermenting beer is not a worry i.e. you don't necessarily have to find an 11.5 container. Two bigger ones may even come in handy later on!

B) Definitely worry about how easy it is to clean the vessel you choose. If I was starting out at brewing, I'd definitely want a fermenter that I could easily reach inside of with my hand and a cloth. So, I'm sort of saying a water cooler bottle wouldn't be a good idea at this stage, (sorry Goat!)

c) A tap is almost compulsory. The only reason I use the taps on my fermenters is for hydrometer readings. Everything else I syphon. But I don't think it's a good idea to take the lid off something to take hydrometer readings.

d) If you don't want to or are not going to play with your fermenter then don't worry about airlocks too much. I'm a very clean brewer but I don't use an O-ring in the lid of my fermenters anymore. (I'll get crucified for saying that!) And I don't use an airlock. My fermenters though are in contained spaces and I don't play with them. I also have a spray bottle of no-rinse sanitiser that I spray around the lid from time to time.

Good idea to play around though Foxy. First thing I'd do is use Coopers kits as they probably have the highest turnover and are therefore the freshest. The other thing is that if you get a 'sour bight' to your beer, it's not you, it's the kit and it's very common! If it is there, you'll taste it even before you pitch the yeast. If you do get that taste, don't worry, there are ways around it. Just let the forum know if you are having any bitter or sour tastes.

Finally, have just seen it's your sixth post and you have just joined - welcome Foxy! There's two links I'll give you that no one ever finds until after they've been on the forum for months. They are a huge help and I wish I'd known about these...

Outline To Using The Ahb Website

Frequently Asked Questions For The New Brewer

My posts to AHB are always way too long but I hope you find at least some of the above helpful.

;) PP

EDIT: 2nd Link now working.

Ive seen the half size fermenters at bigw in the homebrew section, but i dont know if they were half the price or not :blink:

Get yourself a couple of ESB Fresh Wort containers. They are 15 litres and have a bung you take out and screw in a tap.
A hole in the screw on lid with a grommet and in goes the airlock. I use them all the time.

Doc

where you livin at foxy ?? could have a possible alternative for ya ....
will need to check it out ot be certain i can get them though , and useless if your not in sydney...

I got my fermenters from Bunnings. 25L for $15. Round type with a bung for a tap if want to add. Taps are $2.
They come with a rubber "O" ring seal but like PistolPatch I dont use a seal or airlock either.

where you livin at foxy ?? could have a possible alternative for ya ....
will need to check it out ot be certain i can get them though , and useless if your not in sydney...
nah sorry mate, sarina north QLD. but cheers anyhow

[Sorry Foxy if any advice below has been offered prior. This post took longer than expected. The site was running really slow so it took ages to find the 2 linkis I included below. Cheers]

Hi there Foxy,

So many things that you could use! Great suggestions above. Only things that I can think of in adddition are...

a) Don't worry about your fermenter being larger than you need. Because carbon dioxide is being exhaled by the yeast, airspace above the level of your fermenting beer is not a worry i.e. you don't necessarily have to find an 11.5 container. Two bigger ones may even come in handy later on!

B) Definitely worry about how easy it is to clean the vessel you choose. If I was starting out at brewing, I'd definitely want a fermenter that I could easily reach inside of with my hand and a cloth. So, I'm sort of saying a water cooler bottle wouldn't be a good idea at this stage, (sorry Goat!)

c) A tap is almost compulsory. The only reason I use the taps on my fermenters is for hydrometer readings. Everything else I syphon. But I don't think it's a good idea to take the lid off something to take hydrometer readings.

d) If you don't want to or are not going to play with your fermenter then don't worry about airlocks too much. I'm a very clean brewer but I don't use an O-ring in the lid of my fermenters anymore. (I'll get crucified for saying that!) And I don't use an airlock. My fermenters though are in contained spaces and I don't play with them. I also have a spray bottle of no-rinse sanitiser that I spray around the lid from time to time.

Good idea to play around though Foxy. First thing I'd do is use Coopers kits as they probably have the highest turnover and are therefore the freshest. The other thing is that if you get a 'sour bight' to your beer, it's not you, it's the kit and it's very common! If it is there, you'll taste it even before you pitch the yeast. If you do get that taste, don't worry, there are ways around it. Just let the forum know if you are having any bitter or sour tastes.

Finally, have just seen it's your sixth post and you have just joined - welcome Foxy! There's two links I'll give you that no one ever finds until after they've been on the forum for months. They are a huge help and I wish I'd known about these...

Outline To Using The Ahb Website

Frequently Asked Questions For The New Brewer

My posts to AHB are always way too long but I hope you find at least some of the above helpful.

;) PP

EDIT: 2nd Link now working.
Cheers PP for going to the effort. some good tips i'll keep in mind. Nothin wrong with long posts either, im on here to get as much info as i can, and help out where i can (if i can)

hey foxy! mackay here! seems to be a couple of us around

I don't use an O-ring in the lid of my fermenters anymore. (I'll get crucified for saying that!) And I don't use an airlock.
I'm quite interested to know more about this school of no o-rings. i can understand that infection isnt much of a problem because of the positive pressure inside the fermenter, but what happens when you have a very active fermentation and krausen would normally blow out the airlock? isnt wort going to spew out all around the lid?

Yes it is, but only if you don't have enough head space :p

I've had a few Weizens where I've had to clean up morning and night. I guess if you make sure that things only come out, rather than falling back in, then you should be alright.

I have a small chest fridge that I use for lagers. In place of the airlock I have the probe from the temp controller and a stem thermometer shoved through the grommet. So far no problems, but then like everything you need to be a bit anal about cleanliness.

Long term conditioning though I think you need to be more careful and provide a positive seal, either via airlock or in a keg.

Trev

hey foxy! mackay here! seems to be a couple of us around
Good to see some local representation! Grew up in Mackay just moved out to Sarina recently. Oi is there any homebrew clubs that have meetings periodically, any thing like that? wouldn't mind goin along for a look see

Haven't heard of one.. maybe we could start one?

I got my fermenters from Bunnings. 25L for $15. Round type with a bung for a tap if want to add. Taps are $2.
They come with a rubber "O" ring seal but like PistolPatch I dont use a seal or airlock either.

Bunnings have water containers down to 5l or so. I bought a 15l one to use for experimental batches. I think it was around $10 or so. You can also get cheap water containers in the camping section of KMart but these usually have a small opening which makes cleaning a hassle.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back