Almost time to pop that BIAB cherry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick0s

Reaction score
After months of slow saving and acquisitions (thanks Violet, you may be the cutest damn 1 yr old daughter I could ever have asked for, but you do take up a lot of both my available money and time) I'm FINALLY ready to give this a shot.

Have my 40L Buffalo boiler, with a ball valve fitted.
Have a nylon bag, some rope, and a pulley suspended from the garage rafters.
Have a 20L cube filled with bleachy water ready for the no-chill.
Have a whole bunch of starsan, whirfloc, water filters and random stirrers and rulers.
All sitting nicely on a "Rack-It" stand on wheels gathering sawdust in the over-filled garage.

The only thing I don't have... is grain, hops, or yeast... yet.

But its just about time.

A few weeks ago, the LHBS actually had a BIAB demo, but as per usual, life got in the way, and I wasn't able to make it, so I'll just have to stumble my way through my first brew day, it can't be THAT hard... right?

<_<
>_>
<_<

Tomorrow I've got the morning off of parental duties, so are headed to the LHBS to pick up some Pale Ale grain (Not exactly sure what yet) and some Galaxy hops for a nice easy SMaSH no-chill brew to make up the week after Xmas (yet again, work and life getting in the way and delaying things).

It took me about 3 years to go from extract to BIAB, did my 1st last weekend and it went smooth..
I have helped other do BIAB and been to some brew days, plus 3 years of research...

But went sooo easy and well..

Prep with a few youtube vids (try find Aus or UK ones as the bloody american ands the lbs and gallons), and should be all good..
If you got a mate thats have done it and you have issues a long the way... or your a part of a group on facebook, use them to answer your questions!

goodluck... have fun, i did...

I was gonna start off with a smash but my experimental side kicked in hahaha

:chug:

on my 4th BIAB/no chill and love it, had the hoist ready which was handy, otherwise just do it.

I have found taking plenty of notes around timings, water levels etc. will help dial in the numbers for more consistent results and makes it easier to multi task while things are happening e.g knowing it takes 15 mins to go from 66c to 78c to mash out etc...

I'm doing 30min mash/boils to slip in brews during the week :)

Make sure you rinse that bleachy cube really well with boiling water and good luck. AG is only as hard as your stress levels allow it to be. Control those and you'll be on fire.

Back