Almost brand new to all grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H@wkeye!

Reaction score
Hi all

So i'm not completely new to brewing (close though), but went out a bought a Grainfather couple of weeks ago, and had a go at my first all grain brew last week. Did a test from the fermenter (been in there for 1 week) and i'd say first attempt was a bit of a failure. Not that i didn't expect this though, really just wanted to get one under my belt.

I potentially had a few issues with the grainfather - mainly the mash recirculation seems to more go down the bypass shoot than into the mash. But won't worry about this just yet. Think the main issue is temputure consistency during fermenting. Live in Canberra, in an old cold house (for now at least). Hard to keep it consistent. Going to invest in antoher heating pad (currently using a heating strap) soon.

So, what i'm keen to know, is can any one recommend me a good simple stout/porter brew to try. Or is stout/porter more on the advance scale?

Hoping to do another brew (weekend after next) and keen to research a simple recipe to have a go at. Still got a huge amount to learn.

Oh, and howdy to all!

Hawk

Pillar of Stout

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/302-pillar-of-stout/

4.4 kg BB Ale Malt
0.34 kg JWM Roast Barley
0.15 kg JWM Chocolate Malt
0.15 kg Weyermann Carafa Special II
0.1 kg TF Black Malt

Hops
34 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)
30 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 20mins)

• Original Gravity1.053 (calc)
  • Final Gravity1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness51.2 IBU
  • Efficiency75%
  • Alcohol5.2%
  • Colour98 EBC

I'd suggest the 3 shades of stout recipe found here on website, its fairly straight forward, something to work on over and over so when you get it right its an awesome winter beer.

Hi

That looks good. Just wondering, what temp of the mash, and how long? I'm guessing that it's just one temp, but not sure what that would be.

Cheers,

Hawk

Hawk,

If you are having problems keeping the temp of your fermenter up at 18C then might I suggest putting off making a Stout or other Ale until spring when the weather is a bit warmer in Canberra to aid your struggling heating belt.

Instead of a Stout, may I suggest brewing a black lager (Schwarzbier) with a good lager yeast (Weihenstephan or similar). You can let that baby go down to 8C and it will thankyou for it. Schwarzbier is the Stout/Porter of Germany so if you like Stout then I'd recommend it. There are plenty of good recipes out there, but here is one I am mashing tomorrow.

[SIZE=medium]Yeast: Saflager w-34/70 Weihenstephan, Fermentis[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Malts[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Type[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]EBC[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Amount[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Percent of bill[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Bohemian pilsner malt (Weyermann)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.5[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3 Kg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]58.25%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Munich malt II (Weyermann)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]24[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.5 Kg[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]29.13%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Melanoiden malt (Weyermann)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]70[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]200 gm[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.88%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Carafa Special II (Weyermann)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1200[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]250 gm[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4.85%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Caramunich II (Weyermann)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]110-130[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]200 gm[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.88%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Pre-boil volume: 32 Litres[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Boil time: 90 mins[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hops[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Amount[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Time[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Type[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]% Alpha Acid[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]IBU contribution[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]35g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]90min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Northern Brewer[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5.85%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]17.9[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]15g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]90min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hallertau Pacific[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6.1%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7.7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]3.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]14g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]30min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6.1%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]5.3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]7g[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]15min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]6.1%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.3[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Theoretical IBU: 32 IBU[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Original gravity: 1052-1055 (depending on efficiency)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]End volume: 25 Litres[/SIZE]

A simple infusion mash at 66C will suffice if you want to keep it simple, but I plan on doing a stepped mash at 52C(20mins), 62C(30mins), 68C(30mins), 72C(10mins).

Obviously if you want to convert it to a 23Litre (or any volume) just reduce the amount of each grain evenly by percentage, but remember the golden rule...
More beer is better! :D

Ok, This thread can't handle tables once up loaded. Mmmh.. So here is the recipe again (typed this time and not copy and pasted) :unsure:
Grains
3kg Bohemian Pilsner malt 3.5EBC 58.25% of grain bill
1.5kg Munich malt II 24EBC 29.13% of grain bill
200gm Melanoiden malt 70EBC 3.88% of grain bill
250gm Carafa Special II 1200EBC 4.85% of grain bill
200gm Caramunich II 110-130EBC 3.88% of grain bill

Hops
90mins 35gm Northern brewer 5.85% alpha acid 17.9 IBU contribution
90mins 15gm Hallertau Pacific 6.1% alpha acid 7.7 IBU contribution
30mins 14gm Hallertau Pacific 6.1% alpha acid 5.3 IBU contribution
15mins 7gm Hallertau Pacific 6.1% alpha acid 1.3 IBU contribution

Total 32 IBU

Thanks for the replies, will have a think and do one of these brews next brew day (unfortunately not scheduled for week after next).

I'll second the dark large and the recipe looks good too. Might just give it a go. If your set on ales if you get a small fridge that will hold your fermenter just throw your heat belt in the bottom not around the fermenter to avoid hot spots. The belt will hear the whole fridge evenly just keep an eye on it so it doesn't over heat or get a temp controller.

Hrm not a bad idea, guess the insulation will work both ways. Will check out a local second hand place to see if they have any old bar fridges.

i was lucky enough for my mate to just give me his old fridge, but get on gumtree, always stuff on there cheap, temp control makes a massive difference to your brew :)

Hi! I'm successfully controlling temp in tassie, with a blanket and heating belt but using a temp controller (if u eBay from China they are pretty cheap). I'm managing to hold 20c if I want, so consider that option

Latest posts

Back