All citra beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pratty1 said:
Yob,

I have recently changed from using American Ale strains to English for my Pale Ales and IPA's. Technically that would make them non American but they really do get a better beer, the English strains are more fruity and get more flavor from the hops coming through.

Stone brewery in the US use an English strain aswell as Brewdog in Denmark. I still will use the American strains and they too yield good results, if you haven't tried them yet on an IPA give one a crack with 002 or 007 and yes S04.

I would base the style on the hops used more than the yeast strain and US hops and English yeast I found to pair better for a hop forward beer like AIPA.
I thought Brewdog is Scotland based?

Two Brewdog's would have made my head explode

US05..SO4...?
Without going into a long story (very long and very involuted, decidely OT, though happy to do so elsewhere)
American Ale yeasts almost certainly arose from English yeasts (talking 1970's not 1770's).
US05/1056/WLP001/Chico Strain first used by Sierra Nevada may have come one the few ales made in America at the time, Ballantines ( a favorite of HST, though of course indulging in too many of HST's favorites may cause mileage problems).
The origin of Ballantines yeast....almost certainly English.
SO4 in a US ale, may add some English esters (bugger all and given the hop dosage inconseqential). Yes I am sort of back spelling erroz and all.
K

bigmacthepunker said:
I purchased 250g of citra. As a newbie I'm trying to use smash, to get an better understanding of hops and malts. It been really a great experience. I'll be putting on a voyager citra smash when home from holidays. I'm excited about the voyager malt as its from NSW.
Citra is great for a SMaSH beer, but it does play very nicely with alot of different hops. If anything I think I have maybe been using it a little too often (hahaha yeah right!)

I tend to use it mostly for dry hopping tbh though. But with an AA of 13%ish the flavour profile and that great aroma it is quite versatile.

Tahoose said:
Citra is great for a SMaSH beer, but it does play very nicely with alot of different hops. If anything I think I have maybe been using it a little too often (hahaha yeah right!)

I tend to use it mostly for dry hopping tbh though. But with an AA of 13%ish the flavour profile and that great aroma it is quite versatile.
I add a bit of magnum hops for bitterness and Citra for flavour and armour.

Planning a Vienna / Citra SMaSH next, due to simplicity and getting to know stuff....

5kg BM Vienna

20g Citra @ 45mins
20g Citra @ 20 mins
20g Citra @ 5 mins

Thoughts? Malt vs hops mix OK? I'm using wort chiller.

Hi Fu
Off the top oft head. I hot cubed 25 L
7 kg Vienna
20 g magnum 60m
15 g Citra 15m
20g Citra 0 m
And will do 20g Citra DH
Hoping to get it in the FV next weekend
Using white labs 051 yeast
Will advise how it ends up

Nice one.

I think I'll move my hop additions to later in the boil and aim for an IBU of around the mid 30's.

15g at 45mins
20g at 10mins
30g at 5mins

sponge said:
I've been using 1469 & 1968 in a lot of my 'American' ales of late. Just gives a little more character than the 1272 I used to exclusively use for my APAs.
You know, in a bank of almost +25 yeasts in the freezer, I dont think I have these.. unless it was in what Midnightbrew dropped me off the other day.. will look..

Im more than happy to split a batch and give one of these a go if I have it handy.. been a while since Ive done a side by side with yeast alone, usually my side by side ferments are same wort/yeast same and variable hop.. will be interesting to do same wort/hops with variable yeast..

indica86 said:
S04 in a beer?
No point putting all those hops in if your just going to use 04 , it will strip them out of your beer way more than 05. I've heard of peeps using 05 in English ales for exactly that reason.

Fu ManBru said:
Planning a Vienna / Citra SMaSH next, due to simplicity and getting to know stuff....

5kg BM Vienna

20g Citra @ 45mins
20g Citra @ 20 mins
20g Citra @ 5 mins

Thoughts? Malt vs hops mix OK? I'm using wort chiller.
Honey and grapefruit beer, interesting.

Jkpentreath said:
No point putting all those hops in if your just going to use 04 , it will strip them out of your beer way more than 05. I've heard of peeps using 05 in English ales for exactly that reason.
That is not correct! SO4 doesn't strip hop character.

When you use the right amount of hops combined with the correct sulphate content those hops will shine through as intended whether its US or English strain.

What do you use for hop forward beers?

Pratty1 said:
That is not correct! SO4 doesn't strip hop character.

When you use the right amount of hops combined with the correct sulphate content those hops will shine through as intended whether its US or English strain.

What do you use for hop forward beers?
Have to agree. I don't particularly like S04 (stalls and ester profile is meh,IMO) but never found it strips hop flavour.

Yob said:
You know, in a bank of almost +25 yeasts in the freezer, I dont think I have these.. unless it was in what Midnightbrew dropped me off the other day.. will look..

Im more than happy to split a batch and give one of these a go if I have it handy.. been a while since Ive done a side by side with yeast alone, usually my side by side ferments are same wort/yeast same and variable hop.. will be interesting to do same wort/hops with variable yeast..
1469 is essentially my house strain.. A little bit cleaner at lower temps but still very nice in an APA and gives a nice bit of complexity. Definitely worth doing a split and seeing the difference yourself.

Check out Lord Raja Goombah's 'Smash n Citrash Ale' in the recipe database.
I did it a few times back in 2011 and rate it. Very pale and perfect for a summer afternoon.

Back