Ale To The Chief

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey23

Reaction score
Hey All,

Is anyone looking to make either of these recipes (http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/09/01/...use-beer-recipe)? I am thinking of having a go at the Honey Porter during my holidays. Just getting an idea of the recipe and it says to have 10IBU bittering hops.

Based on the recipe (and me being a rookie), would you use one specific bittering hop over another. Or, can you suggest a bittering hop that would work well with this recipe??

Thanks.
Corey

Gday - it's actually 10 HBU which is a formula the yanks (presumably among others) use...you can find it in Palmer and on the net.

If you google the recipe you can find it has already been extrapolated out on some other sites from the whitehouse blog. I think it is closer to 35 IBU with an SG of around 1.066ish in approx 19L into the fermenter (I had a friend asking about it the other day and I drunkenly messed with beersmith).

Good luck, it looks sweet (rather than malty) and revolting to me haha...

edit: and to actually answer your question (wasn't trying to be a wet blanket haha), personally I would use all English hops for all additions. Not sure why they went with Hallertau or whatever for aroma.

Target, northdown, challenger, EKG etc at any/all stages...bump it to 50-60 IBUs and then I'd be a bit more into it (but that's just my personal preference). Bear in mind some of these are lower AAU hops so using a larger amount of them at 45 and 30 minutes will generate more hop flavour than using a smaller amount of a higher AAU. Personally I love Target for UK style bittering at the moment.

SECOND edit: also use the AHB google search function for Obama homebrewer and you'll likely find more stuff.

... the second fermentator... :lol:

That homie needs some learnin good (The video in the link)

Gday - it's actually 10 HBU which is a formula the yanks (presumably among others) use...you can find it in Palmer and on the net.

If you google the recipe you can find it has already been extrapolated out on some other sites from the whitehouse blog. I think it is closer to 35 IBU with an SG of around 1.066ish in approx 19L into the fermenter (I had a friend asking about it the other day and I drunkenly messed with beersmith).

Good luck, it looks sweet (rather than malty) and revolting to me haha...

edit: and to actually answer your question (wasn't trying to be a wet blanket haha), personally I would use all English hops for all additions. Not sure why they went with Hallertau or whatever for aroma.

Target, northdown, challenger, EKG etc at any/all stages...bump it to 50-60 IBUs and then I'd be a bit more into it (but that's just my personal preference). Bear in mind some of these are lower AAU hops so using a larger amount of them at 45 and 30 minutes will generate more hop flavour than using a smaller amount of a higher AAU. Personally I love a Target for UK style bittering at the moment.

SECOND edit: also use the AHB google search function for Obama homebrewer and you'll likely find more stuff.

No worries at all Lecterfan. Thanks for taking the time to provide me with this information. I will keep you updated as to how I get on with this brew.

Cheers.
Corey

was actually reading up on this article the other day and decided i wouldnt mind doing a honey porter over summer for next winter. being a chef i wondered if i could enhance the honey flavour without adding too many more grains and giving it an overpowering nuttyness.

I thought back to my using honey in kitchens and could recall a chocolate and burnt honey parfait as a dessert.
So i came up with the idea of a Chocolate and burnt honey porter, using some 85% cocoa LIDNT dark Chocolate and some good quality honey along with some fruity English hops such as Fuggles and some Goldings to bitter it.

this is just a thought at the moment and I intend to brew the Honey Ale Very soon for summer and also a Beez Neez inspired honey wheat beer with American hops.

This has resparked my desire to brew with honey after my last honey beer was a great Success.

let me know what you are planning on doing aswell,

cheers jake.

was actually reading up on this article the other day and decided i wouldnt mind doing a honey porter over summer for next winter. being a chef i wondered if i could enhance the honey flavour without adding too many more grains and giving it an overpowering nuttyness.

I thought back to my using honey in kitchens and could recall a chocolate and burnt honey parfait as a dessert.
So i came up with the idea of a Chocolate and burnt honey porter, using some 85% cocoa LIDNT dark Chocolate and some good quality honey along with some fruity English hops such as Fuggles and some Goldings to bitter it.

this is just a thought at the moment and I intend to brew the Honey Ale Very soon for summer and also a Beez Neez inspired honey wheat beer with American hops.

This has resparked my desire to brew with honey after my last honey beer was a great Success.

let me know what you are planning on doing aswell,

cheers jake.

I really like the sound of the chocolate and burnt honey porter. Will be very interested in hearing how that one comes alond Jake.

I really like the sound of the chocolate and burnt honey porter. Will be very interested in hearing how that one comes alond Jake.

yes corey will do, are you attempting to brew with honey at all anytime soon? You should try his english style honey ale?

yes corey will do, are you attempting to brew with honey at all anytime soon? You should try his english style honey ale?

Hey JakeSm, I will have a go at this one during my time off in October/November.

Hey JakeSm, I will have a go at this one during my time off in October/November.
Corey, pm me about this beer and i can give you some pointers as a chef on how to burn the honey without taking it too far.
You will also need to buy the darkest and bitterest chocolate you can find and include it on the boil. I am using LINDT 85% cocoa as this has less fats and milk products and will intensify the flavour. I will be looking to do this brew around then aswell as i need to design the extract recipe first.

Cheers jake

Corey, pm me about this beer and i can give you some pointers as a chef on how to burn the honey without taking it too far.
You will also need to buy the darkest and bitterest chocolate you can find and include it on the boil. I am using LINDT 85% cocoa as this has less fats and milk products and will intensify the flavour. I will be looking to do this brew around then aswell as i need to design the extract recipe first.

Cheers jake

No worries JakeSm. PM sent.

Back