Aldi Freezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got mine attached to a piece of syrofoam - that's attached to a pet bottle full of water that sits on the hump. It would probably be more accurate if the styrofoam was attached to the top of the keg (not the side) but I couldn't be stuffed re-attaching each time a keg is emptied. I adjust the fridgemate to 2 degrees lower than serving temp and it seems to work fine. Don't forget to use a pc fan to move the air around a bit or you may get some bigger temp differentials between top of keg and bottom (or so I'm told).

On my fermenter i didn't use the styrofoam on the fridge side and the tempmate swings much more wildly when the door is opened so I'll be fixing that soon.

How did you find the temp controller? At half the price of the typical ones used here it might be worth considering for my set-up.

They look good to me. Look just as good as the units sold by the HBS and sponsors above. I have just ordered on for myself to use on a ferment fridge...I was going to get my old man to post me my fridgemate I have at his place but considering that might cost me about $10 and this unit is $35 + a case and two extension leads...so maybe $45...and it does cooling and heating. I figure its worth the $$.

I'll post some info on it, photos etc once I get it and wire it up. Fingers crossed its the good.

Could be a good bulk buy item :p

Cheers, Pok

How did you find the temp controller? At half the price of the typical ones used here it might be worth considering for my set-up.

They look good to me. Look just as good as the units sold by the HBS and sponsors above. I have just ordered on for myself to use on a ferment fridge...I was going to get my old man to post me my fridgemate I have at his place but considering that might cost me about $10 and this unit is $35 + a case and two extension leads...so maybe $45...and it does cooling and heating. I figure its worth the $$.

I'll post some info on it, photos etc once I get it and wire it up. Fingers crossed its the good.

Could be a good bulk buy item :p

Cheers, Pok

Just a heads up for anyone who was considering getting one.

Spotted one today in the Leichhardt aldi store (Sydney's Inner West), last one in stock, reduced to $199......

I'd grab it, but I want something that can hold two fermenters.

saw that on the weekend in canberra too.
:angry:

almost finished putting my collar together.
got an off cut of a coolroom panel 75mm thick (same thickness as chest freezer walls) and made it the same dimensions as the freezer.
used some old Al. angle and galv. channel to put it together.
then made a laminated board frame to sit over the coolroom panel.
just put a rubber foam seal along the bottom of it (grey stuff).
itll make it 200mm higher, so enough room for 4 kegs.
heres a pic:

collar_1.JPGcollar_2.JPG

its upside down, the board will overhang the chest freezer

heres what the wooden part looks like as you cant see it when its upside down

View attachment chest_freezer_top.pdf

also made a gas minifold the other day:

manifold.JPG

just need to make the top now.

sick of only having one tap, will have 4 soon :beerbang:

pretty much finished the chest freezer today, finally got off my arse and did it.
just need to make a bracket for the co2 so it cant fall over.
heres a couple of pics:
chest_freezer_4.JPG
chest_freezer_5.JPG
chest_freezer_6.JPG

also need to get some cheaps handles if anyone knows where i can get some?

Cheers,

Stewart

G'Day Stew,

I picked up two of these Freezers during the Boxing Day Sale at ALDI, the first one had unfortunately come off the back of the trailer on the way home (forgot to tie it down and the wind caught under it) :angry: , but I managed to straighten it up, re-secured the compressor, reconnected the wiring and it works OK.

The wife got her new freezer for the holiday house and I have the makings for a new keggerator :D

The pics and dimensions look great, what did you use for the Lid, do you have cool room insulation under it ?

Cheers,
Dave

the lid is just 21mm mdf sheet laminated and edged, i got some foam so it would get a decent seal and not let too much heat in.
i also hinged it from the side as its up against a wall. that way i can open the top without moving anything.

cheers,

stewart

Back