Alcohol content

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel0395

Reaction score
Hello, just wondering how everyone actually works out the alcohol content, i have an alcoholmeter but i think this is the wrong thing to be using for beer and cider? Thanks

Using the original and final gravity readings, there's a calculation somewhere on the interwebs...or just use brewing software.

You must measure the Specific Gravity of the wort before fermentation, and again after fermentation.
The difference is the sugars converted to alcohol, which is used in a calculation to get alcohol / volume.

There's a bunch of calculators where you can plug in your values, e.g.: http://pint.com.au/calculators/alcohol/

But wikipedia says the formula is:

Where 1.05 is the number of grams of ethanol produced for every gram of CO2 produced, and .79 is the density of ethanol,
  • d6a5aee318d28449fe6466fa6344ba5b.png
However, many brewers use the following formula:
  • d3a280b69bb001608cd6fbd58dfa54a4.png

I believe there is a way by taking the FG with a hydro and a refracto to work out OG and then calculate ABV using above methods.

joel0395 said:
Thanks guys, so what is an alcoholmeter used for?

An alcometer is used to measure a mixture of ethanol and water. It won't work in anything else.

Latest posts

Back