Airlock Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, I mean it's common sense but I had read somewhere about exposing the beer to air being problematic.

Juts wanted to make sure I wasn't potentially ruining the brew!

AHB, good quick advice for a fraction of the price!

Its a matter of sensible precaution, as opposed to anally retentive angst. (unless thats what your into. Ask no questions, you'll tell me no lies... :lol: )

A bit of air exposure isnt the end of the world by any means. I have racked all my brews from one fermenter to another with no more than loosening the lid on the emptying fermenter and placing the lid on the receiving fermenter over as much of the fermenter as possible. You could go the tea towel over the receiving fermenter if you want.

regarding the dry enzyme, I have had varying success with it, and would say that it is far better to leave it fermenting as long as possible. It works quite quickly for simple fermentables, but can take much longer to work for more complex ones. You don't want this stuff still being active in bottles, or you may end up with some seriously overgassed beer.

Anyway, it seems this thread has kept you from bottling for several days now, so you only need to wait a bit longer! From the gravity reading you gave, it would be interesting to see what it went to by the end of this week.

Crundle

Back