Airlock Inside Frermenter Clearence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the original question got answered after all that.

It sounds like when your pushing the air lock all the way down (i.e. as far it will go) you are streching the grommet a little bit (and it does take much to create a leak).

When the air lock is only partially inserted the grommets seals nicely around it.

Even the tiniest leak will result in zero air lock activity, remember gases are lazy and follow the path of least resistance. Your air lock has water in it (resistance) the leak does not, hence that is where the gas goes.

:icon_cheers: SJ

All the information about airlocks, etc. is already stickied in the K&E forum, why double up?

We just need a bigger sign, possibly with neon and/or flashing lights surrounding it so people read it before posting.

+1.

It sounds like when your pushing the air lock all the way down (i.e. as far it will go) you are streching the grommet a little bit (and it does take much to create a leak).

When the air lock is only partially inserted the grommets seals nicely around it.

Even the tiniest leak will result in zero air lock activity, remember gases are lazy and follow the path of least resistance. Your air lock has water in it (resistance) the leak does not, hence that is where the gas goes.

Now we are getting somewhere! ;)

By the way Welcome to the forum Mate.

Good advice there from SJ and others vertigo!

:icon_offtopic: All I can say is read, search and research is the key to this forum. Sometimes I need to ask a simple question myself, such as you did, which is a result of the shear volume of information and difference of opinion that is on this forum but mainly because I find that someone here will explain it in a way I can understand. I suggest that you hunt down a simular thread and post there any question you have, I am sure that you will get a response.

Besides all the other clatter in this thread all the guys here are top notch and will bend over backwards to help you improve your knowledge and skills in brewing. So don't take to heart anything you may think has been implied or said, they were noobs once too. Unfortunately your timing for your question was just at a very topical moment of this forum. One of which I instigated to make light of the subject on airlocks. Seriously an eye on the top right hand corner in "New Threads" whenever your online and without a doubt you will see that the same bloody question is asked 2 to 3 times a week "My airlock is blah blah!", it can wear a forum down, but to the credit of Butters, PoMo and others is that they never just copy and paste a previous post but spend their time writing an individual response so give them a little credit for their tenasity and seer will power. I do! As I said it's just your timing was off, which is not your fault BTW.

Anyway welcome Vertigo and if you have another "annoying" ( :lol: joke intended) questions mate post em up and don't be shy! REMEMBER: The only silly question asked is the one not asked in the first place!

Many happy brewing and chugging

Chappo

to the credit of Butters, PoMo and others is that they never just copy and paste a previous post but spend their time writing an individual response so give them a little credit for their tenasity and seer will power. I do! As I said it's just your timing was off, which is not your fault BTW.

LOL. I was just about to suggest we keep a clipboard file full of standard responses to copy and paste in response to new brewers :D But I guess a link to the FAQ should cover most of them.

I gotta admit tho, I have really taken a back seat with helping the noobs lately, now that the new(er) wave of brewers is doing its time helping out. What goes around, comes around, pay it forward and all that. Like Chappo said, we were all noobies once, we all learnt the same way that vertigo is learning.

In the spirit of adding another possible reason, perhaps your airlock has little ridges on the sides from being compression moulded...

Shave these off with a stanley knife or similar so that the airlocks "tail" so to speak is actually round, you will find a better seal...

In the spirit of adding another possible reason, perhaps your airlock has little ridges on the sides from being compression moulded...

Shave these off with a stanley knife or similar so that the airlocks "tail" so to speak is actually round, you will find a better seal...

I think the point many of us are making with the airlock "issue" is that it doesn't matter if the airlock bloops or not. There are 100 ways to "fix the problem" but most of them are a waste of time as there is no problem. I personally just use a bottle top over the airlock hole. My beer is no worse off.

To echo PoMo's comment, I think the 'new wave' should be picking up these questions from noobs. I for one was throwing quite a few Q's not so long ago (NEVER about airlocks though LOL) and they were always addressed. So I would consider it almost a duty to start picking up some of the 'airlock' questions so the longer-term members can address some of the more technical queries.

PoMo, this is true, but some people like the sound of an airlock....... ^_^

To echo PoMo's comment, I think the 'new wave' should be picking up these questions from noobs. I for one was throwing quite a few Q's not so long ago (NEVER about airlocks though LOL) and they were always addressed. So I would consider it almost a duty to start picking up some of the 'airlock' questions so the longer-term members can address some of the more technical queries.

I with you Jase. I am generally able to be online most of the days, especially when I have two screens, one work one my addiction (this damn forum) :rolleyes: so I more than happy to help where and when I can.

I think the point many of us are making with the airlock "issue" is that it doesn't matter if the airlock bloops or not. There are 100 ways to "fix the problem" but most of them are a waste of time as there is no problem. I personally just use a bottle top over the airlock hole. My beer is no worse off.

+1 for bottle top. Shot glass works well, too.

As for 100 ways to fix the problem....its not that long ago that there was a thread on here about just that. Ways to modify your airlock/lid/fermenter to ensure a perfect seal for the airlock. :rolleyes: Some of the trouble these guys were going to...

OH, SJ.....the question had been answered, several times. Just with a link, not a paragraph.

No dramas, have to admit i skimmed the first page a bit, as the conversation started to wander away from the OP. But no harm done.

+1 for bottle top. Shot glass works well, too.

Is a pint glass OK, or is shot glass the best method ? I'm afraid that I've screwed up my brew by using the wrong glass over the hole. :p

Is a pint glass OK, or is shot glass the best method ? I'm afraid that I've screwed up my brew by using the wrong glass over the hole. :p

Whatever sized glass fits your kitten is fine...... :lol:

Sorry Butters, I am a weak person and could not resist! ;)

cat_in_a_bottle.jpg

Back on topic, if you really want to know where the air is leaking from, some soapy water will quickly show you where airleaks are. Same for kegging problems.

I don't understand why I get flagged. Did I ask something, that is so bad. I don't expect Mail about it!! Wt, Just explain next time. Grrr.

I don't understand why I get flagged. Did I ask something, that is so bad. I don't expect Mail about it!! Wt, Just explain next time. Grrr.

I guess you were the lucky 1 millionth customer to ask an airlock Q?

As to your original Q? the depth at what you put your airlock in isn't going to mean squat. With a good seal it will bubble, without CO2 will bypass.

Err...something to do with butter (singular, not plural) perhaps?

Back