Air Locks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use em. I like to use the bubbling frequency as a gauge of how busy the yeast is. Not essential certainly but I always feel more comfortable with a steady 'bloop' coming from the airlock :)

I'll go with Jason on this one.

Although they are far from nescessary, they are another useful tool in the brewer's arsenal.

I do have a plastic "carboy" style fermenter with which I do not use an airlock, but as it is almost completely clear I can simply look through the sidewall to see what is going on...if I couldn't I'd buy a bung and another airlock.......maybe :)

PZ.

On a related topic re FLB's footer.

I gave up on sanitizers years ago too. That stuff really is awful. I have found good old fashioned cleanliness is adequate. Probably be some opinions on that too I'd imagine. :)

Cheers
Brownie

On a related topic re FLB's footer.

I gave up on sanitizers years ago too. That stuff really is awful. I have found good old fashioned cleanliness is adequate. Probably be some opinions on that too I'd imagine. :)

Cheers
Brownie

Yep, you are asking for trouble making a statement like that around here :ph34r:

I don't sterilize, but I still sanitize :super:

PZ.

I always thought those silly little fermenters were a waste of time. for my last few brews I've switched to the bath tub. I make sure I have a really good bath (because I won't be able to bathe for a while) then I scrub the tub and in goes the wort. If I'm doing a lager, at the 10 day mark, I tend to have a quick bath in the wort, just to get rid of the stink. but if I'm doing an ale I just let it sit, with the occasional stir. I Find a toilet brush comes in handy for this purpose.

never had better beer.

:rolleyes:
I loosen the cap slightly 4 yeast starter.
bung and airlock my fermenter
safer than gladwrap with ants ,dogs, cats and 3 juveniles running around the house.
Bless the little critters,the two legged version ,a duh....
they are the reason why I am brewing my own ;)
matti

I will normally use an airlock, but I have been known to use a blow-off tube into a container of sanitized water in the past... especially useful for those crazy krausens.

i use an airlock, I just find it handy. Besides, there's a hole in the lid for one, so I might as well put an airlock in!

I"m an airlock man too - could be the gear geek in me though :)

I always thought those silly little fermenters were a waste of time. for my last few brews I've switched to the bath tub. I make sure I have a really good bath (because I won't be able to bathe for a while) then I scrub the tub and in goes the wort. If I'm doing a lager, at the 10 day mark, I tend to have a quick bath in the wort, just to get rid of the stink. but if I'm doing an ale I just let it sit, with the occasional stir. I Find a toilet brush comes in handy for this purpose.

never had better beer.

:D

toilet brush....mmmmmm....

Airlocks have come in for a large amount of discussion on the board in the past.

For such a small bit of brew gear we have seen posts about:

-different styles of airlocks available (standard S, and the two part style)
-how to clean them
-open or closed ferment
-my airlock is not working
-blow off tubes
-the orchestra of multiple airlocks working
plus the brewer's favourite, what noise does your airlock make.

Airlocks have come in for a large amount of discussion on the board in the past.

For such a small bit of brew gear we have seen posts about:

-different styles of airlocks available (standard S, and the two part style)
-how to clean them
-open or closed ferment
-my airlock is not working
-blow off tubes
-the orchestra of multiple airlocks working
plus the brewer's favourite, what noise does your airlock make.
and of course....
....do you sniff or not sniff! :p ;)

Im an airlock man.

JS

never had better beer.

The old man used to brew like this back in the 50's in a share house in St Kilda.
malt extract & bread yeast, Fill the tub, tea towels or some kind of cloth over the top to stop stuff falling in.

He loves that back in my day story but when I ask what it tasted like he never can remember :p

I use an air lock simply to know it's on the go and that I have sealed it.

Latest posts

Back