Aiming For Lcpa, Ended Up With Carlton Draft....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adz.

i have the same magazine and think the hop addition times are printed incorrectly.
20gms EKG @ 75 min + 40gms cascade @ 10 min is probably not even 20 IBU.
maybe this is the prob.
Im gonna try that recipe but cascade for bittering along with the EKG. IBUs was meant to be 40 odd.

Josh.

Just checked... it is bang on 20 IBU

5 eyes

Adz.

i have the same magazine and think the hop addition times are printed incorrectly.
20gms EKG @ 75 min + 40gms cascade @ 10 min is probably not even 20 IBU.
maybe this is the prob.
Im gonna try that recipe but cascade for bittering along with the EKG. IBUs was meant to be 40 odd.

Josh.

That totally depends on the AA% of said hops. They vary a lot, especially EKG, I've seen 3.5-6%AA. So 20g of 3.5%AA will be vastly different to 20g of 6%AA. Even following someone else's recipe I always use some brewing software (or pen and paper at a pinch, but I suck at maths) to make sure that the batch of hops I'm using will make up the IBU contribution the recipe lists. And if the recipe doesn't list the targeted IBU (or AAU) of each addition (not just the total) it's not worth following.

That totally depends on the AA% of said hops. They vary a lot, especially EKG, I've seen 3.5-6%AA. So 20g of 3.5%AA will be vastly different to 20g of 6%AA. Even following someone else's recipe I always use some brewing software (or pen and paper at a pinch, but I suck at maths) to make sure that the batch of hops I'm using will make up the IBU contribution the recipe lists. And if the recipe doesn't list the targeted IBU (or AAU) of each addition (not just the total) it's not worth following.

Yes I agree.

Freebie software like Q brew helps out bigtime.

beer & brewer magazine is poorly edited and nearly all the recipes lack the info you mention.

The recipe Adz1179 brewed called for 44IBU. If he ended up with 20IBU (guidlines for APA say 30-45) then that beer is was way off balance. thats assuming the target og of 52-54
was hit.

howdy brewers... just an update. been in the bottle for 2 weeks now. still a little under carb but im sure this will develop over the next few weeks.

photo.JPG

I ended up dry hopping with a mix of cascade, centennial and galaxy to hide the aftertaste

the good news:
good head retention, lasted till the end
the after taste is gone!!!!

the bad news:
as well as the aftertaste going, all other taste has gone... really, really bland.
its really cloudy.. you cant see your hand behind the glass

lessons learned.. move along sir, brew another day

nothing_to_see_here.jpg

howdy guys,

about the same time as the OP, i emailed beer & brewer mag (where the recipe originated) with the same questions... not expecting much...

Since then I received a personal response from Alex Troncoso, head of brewing development at LC, they printed it in the latest mag (received in the post today), and sent me out one of these bad boys:

http://www.drinkinginamerica.com/meet-the-brauler/

pretty chuffed with the responses received from both Beer & brewer and Alex from LC.... just sharing this positive experience. :)

howdy guys,

about the same time as the OP, i emailed beer & brewer mag (where the recipe originated) with the same questions... not expecting much...

Since then I received a personal response from Alex Troncoso, head of brewing development at LC, they printed it in the latest mag (received in the post today), and sent me out one of these bad boys:

http://www.drinkinginamerica.com/meet-the-brauler/

pretty chuffed with the responses received from both Beer & brewer and Alex from LC.... just sharing this positive experience. :)

I asked basically the same question of beer and brewer, and got forwarded the email from Alex to you. Didn't get the brauler though.... :(

Latest posts

Back