AHBs biggest tight arse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't give a fat rats ass. I get what I want, when I want and how I want. Make a great beer and still get it maximum half price for what I'd pay for a 30 block of VB!

Linford said:
Make a great beer and still get it maximum half price for what I'd pay for a 30 block of VB!
Well thats a lie...
U realise 30 packs of VB go for under $40 quite reg these days at Dans....

shaunous said:
Well thats a lie...
What's the lie here? Most of my beers cost between $10 and $20 depending on abv and hops.

I reckon I run about 17 bucks a brew. Although I am due for a gas refill. Without a lie...

shaunous said:
Well thats a lie...
30 x 375mL = 11.25 L

You make many brews around 4-5%abv that cost ~$40 for 10-15 L?

Your point is that the cheapest beer costs at least twice as much as home brew. Good point.

Where are you guys buying $17 yeast from?

Don't get me wrong - I drink cheap commercial beer and I don't scrape and save every penny when it comes to brewing (rarely reharvest yeast for example) but if you take equipment used for brewing and fermenting as a basic cost already accounted for and don't expect to pay yourself for time (it's a hobby - why would you?), then it's hard to find many commercial brews that are much cheaper. Consider the average 'single' batch is 2 x 30 VB can slabs worth in volume so $70-80.

Liam_snorkel said:
Your point is that the cheapest beer costs at least twice as much as home brew. Good point.
Shutup Liam, Just Shutup :unsure:

Yeh, I was taking in consideration the cost of everthing involved.

But im one who thinks catching fish is a cheap feed, but if u take into consideration the cost of lures, bait, fuel for boat, rods, fuel in car to get there, beer to drink once there, fishing license, and damages to fishing gear. 'Yeh man, fukin cheap feed ey!'

im a pro hobbies and outdoor man Liam, I don't wish to get u confused.

Most of my brews have been double batches north of 1.050. I wasn't trying to make a direct price comparison, just surprised at $17 a brew. Even if I was doing single batches, I would still be double that.

If you look at yeast farming, slanting or splitting, there's a massive cost reduction. Buy hops in bulk, grain in bulk then 17 a brew doesn't seem ridiculous.

Also KK is that or less.

I go to Dans nearly every Thursday with my boss. We buy Mega's to drink over the weekend. Yeh, I love good beers, But I aint hunting/fishing/sculling good beers every weekend.

Again, I know yáll sick about me making the reference to city v country, but it has to be said, we don't sit around council parks, or friends of friends unit blocks drinking good beers. We are holding rods out the back of boats 10 miles out at sea, or hanging onto rifles standing on the back of a landcruiser ute, or sitting in a canoe in a river thowing lures, or back flipping off waterfalls into deep river beds. All normal activities around here, none of which have the time for a Feral Hop Hog, or Belgium Blonde.

Don't get me wrong, my trip to Melbourne 3 weekends ago drinking good craft beers was awesome, but time and place must be heard.

It's in the to do list, but I'm still trying to master the basics haha. Plus my time is limited working FIFO and buying new yeast each time is easy.

To get back on topic. I have an uncle who is the nicest guy, but he's a tight *******. He'll save a dollar wherever he can. I remember about ten years ago when the Dockers were a "certainty" to make the finals he put a $20 bet on them to make the final 8 at $1.05. True to form they choked and he lost. I'm pretty sure he still has nightmares about it.

shaunous said:
I go to Dans nearly every Thursday with my boss. We buy Mega's to drink over the weekend. Yeh, I love good beers, But I aint hunting/fishing/sculling good beers every weekend.

Again, I know yáll sick about me making the reference to city v country, but it has to be said, we don't sit around council parks, or friends of friends unit blocks drinking good beers. We are holding rods out the back of boats 10 miles out at sea, or hanging onto rifles standing on the back of a landcruiser ute, or sitting in a canoe in a river thowing lures, or back flipping off waterfalls into deep river beds. All normal activities around here, none of which have the time for a Feral Hop Hog, or Belgium Blonde.

Don't get me wrong, my trip to Melbourne 3 weekends ago drinking good craft beers was awesome, but time and place must be heard.
Not sure what that means. I live in the inner city and work in an art gallery but I don't earn enough each week to drink more than a couple of examples of fancy beer so I learn about the characters enough to make it myself. When I buy commercial beer to take away, it's often 500mL bavaria cans for 10.99 per 4 pack or $12 jugs at the pub after a futsal match.

Possibly sick of the country/city crap because it's based on bollocks. If I came to your farm I'd happily shoot and eat roo, cut chicken's heads off to make soup , fish and drink whatever beer was on offer. I can also drive a forklift, build stuff from wood and mow the lawn while still knowing what consomme is. And I drink lattes.

Shelve the city vs country bollocks mate. It means nothing.

manticle said:
Not sure what that means. I live in the inner city and work in an art gallery but I don't earn enough each week to drink more than a couple of examples of fancy beer so I learn about the characters enough to make it myself. When I buy commercial beer to take away, it's often 500mL bavaria cans for 10.99 per 4 pack or $12 jugs at the pub after a futsal match.

Possibly sick of the country/city crap because it's based on bollocks. If I came to your farm I'd happily shoot and eat roo, cut chicken's heads off to make soup , fish and drink whatever beer was on offer. I can also drive a forklift, build stuff from wood and mow the lawn while still knowing what consomme is. And I drink lattes.

Shelve the city vs country bollocks mate. It means nothing.
B)

Jaded and Bitter said:
A storeman once brought in his old jocks and socks for us to use as rags :blink:
That's not being a tight arse, it's some sort of domination fetish.

Back