AHB Wiki: Sugars - They are all different

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
This is the discussion topic for article: Sugars - They are all different

hi..
i found this really helpful...but the other day i came across a post about steeping wheat grain...does anyone know how much this would be equivilent to as oppose to say dextrose or LDM...for example how much sugar am i adding by steeping?...say 100 grams of wheat grain :unsure: ...i figure 100 grams isn't a lot but it is easy to use as a reference...also how hot temp wise for steeping cracked grian also/time...in other words whats the best procedure to use when doing this...?

cheers simple

hi..
i found this really helpful...but the other day i came across a post about steeping wheat grain...does anyone know how much this would be equivilent to as oppose to say dextrose or LDM...for example how much sugar am i adding by steeping?...say 100 grams of wheat grain :unsure: ...i figure 100 grams isn't a lot but it is easy to use as a reference...also how hot temp wise for steeping cracked grian also/time...in other words whats the best procedure to use when doing this...?

cheers simple

Simple,

If you're planning to steep such a small amount, I wouldn't worry about calculating the equivalent sugars, because 100g is nothing, and you're really only trying to infuse a bit of 'fresh grain' character into the beer with it. Unless you are going to mash that 100g you probably won't get much (if anything) in the way of fermentables from it either. Get yourself a grain bag, and consider using a bit more eg 250g+. There are heaps of posts about infusing on here, have a read, or go to Palmer's site. Just don't actually boil it, and you can't really go wrong.

hi..

cheers simple

Wheat is actually a base grain, so simply steeping it won't get you far, you need to mash.
That being said, doing a mini mash is really just temperature, and volume, controlled steeping...

To steep there are many methods but lots of people start with the grain in cold water and slowly raise the temperature. You don't want to boil it, just bring it up to around 80, maybe less. Then add that water to your main boil.

To mini mash you need water at around 70C, depending on how much you have, as the grain will reduce your water to the required mash temp, somewhere in the 64-68 range.

You use 2.5-3L of water per kg of grain. For mini-mashing I use more the low end, but that's me...

You then need to keep the grain at around that temp.

I put my pot in an oven set as low as it will go and that works OK.

Put your grains into a strainer and rinse with some water around 75-80C for sparging. Efficiencies aren't such a big deal with small mini-mashes but it helps to get all the sugars and flavour out...

You then have an amount of liquid which forms the start of your boil. Add your extract, or kit, at the appropriate time for your recipe or method...

That's what works for me anyways...

Back