AHB Wiki: Micro Breweries by State - the AHB list

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Island Brew is made at regency tafe (AFAIK) so its a label/brand, not a microbrewery.

maybe - with things like that - its the regency tafe that gets put on the list (is it there??) ... but with a subnote saying what beer brands are contract brewed at the particular brewery??

dunno, probably too hard.

I say... no stainless, no entry :lol:

maybe - with things like that - its the regency tafe that gets put on the list (is it there??) ... but with a subnote saying what beer brands are contract brewed at the particular brewery??

dunno, probably too hard.

I say... no stainless, no entry :lol:

Lovely valley has a room full of 60L plastic fermenters....... so i guess we can strike them off the list... :D

Emerald Hill in Melbourne closed down last October..

How do you put a line through it?

I'm not game enough in case i stuff it up

Rook

I now have a pretty intimate understanding of how the editor works. The 'Strikethrough' found in the editor can be used. I've updated this entry.

sap.

Even Lovely Valley... they do make beer after all, even if it is bad. Consider Buckley's.......

You've tried the Lovely Valley product and we both agreed that it might not have been beer (if memory serves).

Although it might feed the homebrewer caste war (and that is not my intent), if they make their product from extract only, perhaps they might not be considered a brewery as they are not actually brewing?

The same argument forced through a mincer addresses contract brewers and their clients, I think. AIB is a brewery, whereas the owners of the brand 'Lucky Beer' are not.

You really don't like them do you :p

Ah, no. They fit all the stereotypes of HB from our parents generation in the 70s and 80s when sugar was added to cans of goo and fermented hot.

Their stout tastes like vegemite mixed with water.....

All of their beers are fermented in the same room, lagers thru stouts. I'd bet the same yeast is used in all.

I have nothing against kit brewers, i was one, my mates still are.

But selling kit/extract beer?

:icon_vomit:

Yeah... as Spills points out, I have tried their stuff. It was bad.

Counter intuitively I actually think that their business should be an encouragement to homebrewers everywhere.

Think about it - taking out the hard parts of getting a liscence etc - you can start a brewery with nothing but a shed, a pile of 60L fermentors and some extract.

Now I know that the lovely valley people are a poor example... but imagine that tomorrow they sold up and an AHB member who knows about temperature control and yeast and what makes beer taste good, bought the place. Without changing a whole lot infrastructure wise... there are brewers on this site who could be pushing out pretty decent kits and bits brews in a couple of weeks.

Give em a year to organise a Happy Goblin style AG set-up for only a few thousand bucks (if their own rig couldn't cut it) and its some AG brews and the ability to make partials on a large scale...

So for me, its not about the kits/extract/AG - Lovely Valley could be perfectly good, they just aren't.

Hey all,

Could a few people please update the list of micro breweries to make it current?

Thirstyboy updated the WA section on my behalf (damn internet browser wouldn't let me do it), cheers for that Thirsty! :beer:

I know I will be using the list in a couple of months as I have a weekend booked in Melbourne for the rugby and another in Mt Tambourine in QLD for the mototrials national champs

Cheers all :beer:

Please do, because my gut instinct is that the quantity and quality of microbreweries is Brisbane is almost nothing. Thank goodness the brewhouse reopened, because the last few years have seen almost all microbreweries closed and replace by yuppie tapas bars, gaming arcades and generally poor, generic mainstream pubs.

Don't know if the regatta still do any onsite brewing - I can't see anything on their site that indicates they do.

And of course, add Ross' new establishment. I'm going to figure out how to get down there to become a barfly and then get home without driving.

Just from a quick view

* Akuna - sure they only do Ginger beer on contract now
* Braidwood - should have gone ages ago
* Barhnam brewery - closed yonks ago
* Fish Rock - not sure if still trading
* Hopping Mad - gone years ago
* Northern Rivers - closed about 2 years ago
* Steel River - sure they have stopped trading???
* Bintara - the kit is for sale, so say must be on contract if at all?
* Regatta Qld - did not this go ages ago?
* Eagle Heights - Sure gonskies
* Grumpy's - anyone ... anyone??

Scotty

Just from a quick view

* Akuna - sure they only do Ginger beer on contract now
* Braidwood - should have gone ages ago
* Barhnam brewery - closed yonks ago
* Fish Rock - not sure if still trading
* Hopping Mad - gone years ago
* Northern Rivers - closed about 2 years ago
* Steel River - sure they have stopped trading???
* Bintara - the kit is for sale, so say must be on contract if at all?
* Regatta Qld - did not this go ages ago?
* Eagle Heights - Sure gonskies
* Grumpy's - anyone ... anyone??

Scotty

Grumpy's is still trading, recently won an award for one of their Pizzas. Still makes some very good brews as well (damn I like that Black Betty).
not affiliated, just the closest watering hole to where I live (with decent beer)

H.

Back