AHB Wiki: Best way to do Kit and Kilo beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look like a joke, it's just quite scant. I think the starter just wanted the topic to exist then grow. But, I'm just guessing here.

I didn't start it, but i've fixed it up with cleaner definitions. More work to be done though, definitely!

i clicked on the link hoping to read some insightful tome of accumulated knowledge and experience.. and..

agree with DJR, some work needed!

Yeah, like all wikis, collaborative work is what's needed to make articles work. I'll add a little; it looks like the ball is rolling a little on this topic so it'll get better :)

I saw the wiki article that Phonos referred to and it was someone's idea of a joke. Basically said that they should go straight to AG.

I deleted the original article and wrote a few lines that others have now expanded on.

Thanks to the people that have picked up on it and continued the good work.

Don't agree with the point about hydrating yeast. At the beginner's stage, the KIS factor is more important. Hydrating means more risks of infection, and that hydrating temp is very important. Not many kit brewers have a decent stick thermometer. Also, Mark wrote in a thread recently, that the people who have most problems with their yeast are the rehydraters. Much more important are sanitation and temperature control of the brew.

Most first brews are made using whatever ingredients come with the starter kit, be it good or bad.

I saw the wiki article that Phonos referred to and it was someone's idea of a joke. Basically said that they should go straight to AG.
I thought I was going nuts when i read it after my initial post.

I generally brew kits or partials, and I'm a little protective of other kit brewers, so I'm glad that everyone has put a little work in to make this wiki much more helpful than it originally was.

Thanks!

I deleted the original article and wrote a few lines that others have now expanded on.

Thanks to the people that have picked up on it and continued the good work.

Don't agree with the point about hydrating yeast. At the beginner's stage, the KIS factor is more important. Hydrating means more risks of infection, and that hydrating temp is very important. Not many kit brewers have a decent stick thermometer. Also, Mark wrote in a thread recently, that the people who have most problems with their yeast are the rehydraters. Much more important are sanitation and temperature control of the brew.

Most first brews are made using whatever ingredients come with the starter kit, be it good or bad.

Can I suggest you add something like 're hydration will add the risk of infecting the wort or harming the yeast if not done properly. Alway check the water temp (23 -26 deg C) and ensure the vessel is sanitized properly'

This way both opinions get aired and it will cause less confusion.

I thought I was going nuts when i read it after my initial post.

I generally brew kits or partials, and I'm a little protective of other kit brewers, so I'm glad that everyone has put a little work in to make this wiki much more helpful than it originally was.

Thanks!
I confess, for the record, I wrote the original post as a windup before the Wiki was opened up and was meant to be moderated. I knew there was not a brewer on the site that would let it stand like it was for long. I though if the moderators read it they would choke but if it is a real wiki, then it would be postsed and, as has happened, people changed it to be useful and interesting.

Thanks to those who have helped prove a point and make the wiki work.

Back