Ah! De Goo Ol Days?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHARSYDE

Reaction score
Do you remember phone and fax ordering before the internet and limited resourses for the home brewer???

Well luckily enough i am quite new to brewing but i found some old adverts and thought i would share them with the ol folk of this forum!

Bringing back the memories... :icon_cheers:

What things have changed over the years, Good or Bad??

Brewmart.jpg

This one must be before the banned smoking??? hehe

CCF18052009_00000.jpg

Advert.jpg

Hawks kept on eating my pidgeons :angry:

Its hard to imagine writing a letter or phoning a brew supplier and asking them to send you a price list via post??? What the!!!

If you go here and here you can download a 28 year old edition of Australian Beermaker. Be warned that it's nearly 200mb worth of bandwidth but a great read all the same. Oddly enough people were A/G brewing even back in 1981 true pioneers compared to what we have access to now.

Edit: spelling

Warren -

Brigalow still make an identical bottle capper. If it ain't broke why fix it.
Brigalow's beer kits still taste identical to the 70s. It's broke. Fix it.

Brigalow still make an identical bottle capper. If it ain't broke why fix it.
Brigalow's beer kits still taste identical to the 70s. It's broke. Fix it.

I first made a K&K batch up using a Brigalow kit in 1979 :( . It took another 8 years to work up courage to try again (Coopers thankfully).

Looking at the cans of extract shot me right back to June 1996. I bought my first kit then. I had forgotten about it, but now I distinctly remember standing in the store and looking at the wide variety of goo with glee, mouth watering in anticipation of my first brew like a hound looking in the butcher's window. And was it ever delicious. :rolleyes:

By August I had moved on to partial mashes. :eek:

By November I had graduated to all grain. B)

Oddly enough people were A/G brewing even back in 1981 true pioneers compared to what we have access to now.

When homebrewing was first legalised there was no such thing as kits.
My starting point was extract brewing with an instruction book, two big pots and hops, yeast, malt etc sourced from the local health food shop.

Kits such as Brigalow only came onto the market a few years later, so it was extract, AG or nothing back then.

Cheers

Looking at the cans of extract shot me right back to June 1996. I bought my first kit then. I had forgotten about it, but now I distinctly remember standing in the store and looking at the wide variety of goo with glee, mouth watering in anticipation of my first brew like a hound looking in the butcher's window. And was it ever delicious. :rolleyes:

By August I had moved on to partial mashes. :eek:

By November I had graduated to all grain. B)

I remember thinking I would make a brew with every can that was available at the HB store... didn't eventuate.

Back