Agghhhh Cant Hit Target Volumes An Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure the aim is to boil down to your target volume and end up at the correct gravity also....Is it safe to top up with tap water or is the done thing to top up with purchased or pre-boiled water?

how would i re-adjust my hops for a higher gravity boil in beer smith? the program suggests to top up to a pre-boil volume of (X) then boil down to target volume and gravity........

maybe I am over sparging?? is 28L 1.060 much to high?? When do others cut of there sparge, I just keep going till the run off hits 1.020 - 1.012.

I usually set my efficiency lower than I expect to reach -I set to around 68% . Then if my SG target is higher after I've reached my pre-boil volume target in the kettle ( fly sparge until desired volume reached) & after stirring to make sure there is no discrepancy between first & last runnings -then use hydrometer adjust tool in beersmith and measure SG. If it's higher then I use the wort dilution tool in beersmith and add the corrsponding amount of water to the kettle. By that time my system usually has another 15 mins to go before I get a rolling boil and gives me enough time to amend beersmith equip details and click calc boil volume automatically > enter new boil volume manually and then see the affect it has on IBU's and amend accordingly just in time for first hop addition. I just then boil for the normal amount of time knowing that my post boil gravity will be on target.

Back