Help, Beersmith And Reality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguts

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,whew another post from a lurker.....
I've got a real problem i can't figure out:
  • have made a partial, approx 10L @1.060 (see beersmith recipe)
  • added a can of Coopers Euro lager made it up to 22L
  • Hydrometer now reads 1.098
According to beersmith none of these readings are correct
  • partial 10L 1.023
  • with extract added, made up to 25L, 1.045
I have tested my hydrometer, it is reading water correctly.

HELP

Have I entered something wrong into beersmith or have i got mega efficiency?

strong{ font-weight: bold; background: rgb(247, 246, 126); color: rgb(247, 246, 126);}
#12 Euro Pilsner
Brew Type: Partial Mash Date: 27/08/2010 Style: German Pilsner (Pils) Brewer: Alastair Sedgwick Batch Size: 25.00 L Assistant Brewer: Boil Volume: 14.00 L Boil Time: 80 min Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 % Equipment: 14 Litre Pot BIAB Partial Actual Efficiency: 0.00Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 1.70 kg Coopers European Lager (4.9 EBC) Extract 40.48 % 2.10 kg Premium Pilsner Malt (Weyermann) (2.5 EBC) Grain 50.00 % 0.35 kg Barley Flaked (Bairds) (3.0 EBC) Grain 8.33 % 0.05 kg Carapils/Carafoam (Weyermann) (4.0 EBC) Grain 1.19 % 15.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [5.20 %] (60 min) Hops 7.7 IBU 15.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [5.20 %] (20 min) Hops 4.7 IBU 15.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [5.20 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops - 1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #S-23) [Starter 2000 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Lager
Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.043 SG (1.044-1.050 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011 SG (1.008-1.013 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG Estimated Color: 5.5 EBC (3.9-9.9 EBC) Color [Color] Bitterness: 25.9 IBU (25.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 10.3 AAU Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.15 % (4.40-5.20 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.00 % Actual Calories: 0 cal/l

Mash Profile Name: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Light Body Mash Tun Weight: 1.15 kg Mash Grain Weight: 2.50 kg Mash PH: 0.0 PH Grain Temperature: 22.2 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Sparge Water: 6.50 L Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Name Description Step Temp Step Time Protein Rest Add 10.00 L of water at 52.6 C 50.0 C 30 min Saccharification Heat to 64.0 C over 15 min 64.0 C 75 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C 10 min

Mash Notes
Two step profile with a protein rest for mashes with unmodified grains or adjuncts. Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.4-2.8 vols) Estimated Priming Weight: 111.7 gm Temperature at Bottling: 8.0 C Primer Used: - Age for: 4.0 Weeks Storage Temperature: 18.0 C

thanks
Al

The simplest explanation is that you have some unmixed ingredients which are heavier and sit at the bottom and therefore you have some higher gravity malty stuff in the tap. Run off a sample, drink/discard, then run off another sample and test that.

Your batch size on beersmith is 25L and you have made it up to 22L. Also the boiln on beersmith is 14L and you have done 10L...i doubt you lost 4L of water in the boil? A few litres here and there can make a pretty phenomenal difference in gravity reading. Also as Manticle suggested, make sure the contents of the can is thoroughly mixed with the rest of the wort.

It takes longer to learn how to use BeerSmith than it does to learn how to make beer.

Where as DinnerSmith ... well, I use that all the time because putting together a whole heap of food in the right amounts, cooking it, timing it and serving it is so complicated I need a computer to help me. :rolleyes:

And what would I do without CockSmith?

Do you think they are working on a version of cocksmith for Mac?

thanks guys
i new i could rely on you for the obvious

Manticle, you were dead right, thanks. (after 60 odd brews, you would have thought that was pretty obvious, but as they say you live and learn)

After 30+ of being a chef you still f**k up occasionally :icon_cheers:

cheers
al

It takes longer to learn how to use BeerSmith than it does to learn how to make beer.

Where as DinnerSmith ... well, I use that all the time because putting together a whole heap of food in the right amounts, cooking it, timing it and serving it is so complicated I need a computer to help me. :rolleyes:

And what would I do without CockSmith?

hey nick
your beer must be pretty good.........

my car needs lubrication....

also the battery needs topping up with acid, please can you just poke out your tongue and drool into it.....

cheers
al :rolleyes:

hey nick
your beer must be pretty good.........

my car needs lubrication....

also the battery needs topping up with acid, please can you just poke out your tongue and drool into it.....

cheers
al :rolleyes:

Oh man. It is going to be fun and watch you eat your words when you, like every other n00b, realises that Nick has re-invented homebrew and he becomes your god.

Oh man. It is going to be fun and watch you eat your words when you, like every other n00b, realises that Nick has re-invented homebrew and he becomes your god.

nah not that ignorant his $30 or whatever post got me into BIAB, also his irreverence for "it is done this way...." makes his posts a must read.
as a lot of long time posters say to "nOOb's", the search function is your friend, i don't post cos the info is readily availableif are willing to look!

al :icon_cheers:

Back