Age Articles On Craftbrewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Merc,
Have you considered pitching to SBS?
They brought us Food Lovers Guide to Australia and Wine Lovers Guide to Australia, so maybe they might be open to a Beer Lovers Guide to Australia?
I've been wishing they would do it for years, they might show interest....

Perhaps if it were pitched as being about the incredible breadth of beer styles appearing in Australia rather than just visiting the breweries there might be more interest. Say episode one - India Pale Ale, two - Pale Ales, Three - Saisons, four - Rauch (well I know of one) etc. Still end up visiting the brewerys anyway, add a cooking with beer segment and it'd be a popular series (well I'd stay home to watch it at least) :) .

Well, Mercs Own, I just got a PM informing me of your identity.

I sincerely apologise for the remarks, but I honestly did not know who you were. And yes, I do know of your dad.

No hard feelings?

WJ (Feeling a bit like an idiot right now)

PS Did you like the lyricism though?

Whistlingjack, I have been away and just caught up with this thread - you have nothing to apologise for as I was enjoying the banter and knew it was all in good fun - hence the smiley face. I hope you will not treat me worse now that you know my not so secret identity :lol: but frankly who cares we are all brewers and lovers of fine quality beers who like to wax lyrical on occassion :party:

Could you enlighten me to the "fig" reference as I too am a little slow...

I stand corrected on Stuart as he filmed an episode of his show at a resturant I filmed at this week and they told me he knew his wines. Havent had the op to see his show but I will make the effort to see it.

Simon SBS said no. Strange as I reckon Beer lovers Guide would have been right up their alley but maybe they are planning one of their own....

Merc - If all the TV stations say "no", would it be worth heading down a path where it went straight to DVD? I realise it may be costly, but at least you would be able to do your own thing, and I'm sure you would be well supported here! Just need a way to market it to the masses - perhaps superimpose Warnie's face onto your body on the cover or offer the chance to win some VB :lol:

Merc - If all the TV stations say "no", would it be worth heading down a path where it went straight to DVD? I realise it may be costly, but at least you would be able to do your own thing, and I'm sure you would be well supported here! Just need a way to market it to the masses - perhaps superimpose Warnie's face onto your body on the cover or offer the chance to win some VB :lol:

Too funny! :D :chug:

but I have also never met any doctors, actors or chiropractors that know beer either.

WJ

Dr Pete Aldred from Ballarat Uni & Dr Tim Cooper are both MD's, & between the two of them have a pretty good idea about beer.

Cheers
Gerard

I haven't met them. Maybe they could do a TV series about beer... ;)

WJ

To answer your question, no, I haven't met any sport stars that know beer, but I have also never met any doctors, actors or chiropractors that know beer either.

WJ

You have met me and I know at least how to brew a bad beer, remember the "Saison-weizen"

You have met me and I know at least how to brew a bad beer, rmeember the "Saison-weizen"

Was that beer?... :lol:

I can remember one that was not quite right from that swap, but my notes went astray.

How about morticians, politicians and statisticians?

WJ

From today's Epicure:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/epicure/lage...7135348923.html

Beers just ain't beers they're adding "bush tucker", writes Willie Simpson.

AUSTRALIA is full of aspiring beer barons, but only one group has dared to label themselves as blatantly as Barons Brewing Company. Good mates Scott Garnett and Richard Adamson decided to start their own craft beer brand some years ago, but were having trouble coming up with an original name.

"We'd love to be beer barons," Garnett blurted out late one evening to Adamson and the pregnant pause that followed convinced them they'd found their name at last. "It's a bit cheeky," Garnett says, "and (a baron) is the lowest form of nobility."

The pair have their brands produced under contract at Australian Independent Breweries in western Sydney and launched their beers into Sydney markets in 2005 and, more recently, into Melbourne and beyond. In fact, these budding beer barons have started exporting their brews to Russia and the US.

While they have a range of notional mainstream brands in Pale Ale, ESB (Extra Special Bitter) and Lager, their "native range" features some exotic ingredients, more commonly found in bush tucker than beer.

"I wanted to do something with Aussie ingredients," says Adamson, who is the brewer while Garnett mainly handles marketing.

Barons Black Wattle Ale was their first release and is built around wattle seed.

"When I was looking at wattle seed, it sat really well with big, malty flavours so I used a Scotch ale home-brew recipe."

Adamson has the wattle seed roasted by a commercial coffee roaster. He then grinds up the roasted seeds and, while he's secretive about exact quantities, he says if you use too much "the beer tastes a bit like mud".

Encouraged by the success of the Black Wattle Ale, he developed a decidedly Australian slant on the Belgian witbier style by employing lemon myrtle and wild lime, rather than the usual coriander seed and dried orange peel.

Baron's Lemon Myrtle Witbier has been toned down somewhat since I tasted the first batch and it appeals as a refreshingly different summer thirst-quencher.

St Arnou Pilsner is another Sydney-based brand produced under contract at AIB and while St Arnou beers have been widely available on tap Australia-wide for several years, they have only recently launched their bottled products. More in the style of a sophisticated premium lager, rather than an authentic pilsener, St Arnou Pilsner is well worth seeking out.

A bunch of ski-mad beer lovers are behind the Boutique Alpine Brews company who intend importing their favourite beers from various alpine regions around the world.

Otaru Export is the first, with a decidedly multicultural feel to it a bunch of Aussies importing a Japanese beer from Hokkaido made by a German-born brewer and packaged in a squat 330ml bottle more commonly found in Belgium.

And Otaru Export has a pale green rip-top lid which made me nostalgic for Cooper's tear-top "hand-grenades" of the past.

The beer has a big malt presence and a rather restrained bitterness and the importers suggest drinking it slightly warmer at about 6 degrees.

I am having a little difficulty getting the backers and producers of my show to go to breweries as they think "been to one been to them all" and in some ways that is true - the step by step of brewing is the same process therefore not TV friendly once done but (as I argue) it is the people, the place, the food and the beer that makes it all interesting and different. I will continue to fight the battle and try and use beer as often as I can in my cooking.

It is definitely the people and the place that makes shows like this interesting and watchable.
Have you seen American Beer! ?

In June of 2002, director Paul Kermizian and his crew of four left New York City by minivan and set out across the United States to drink local craft beer, visiting 38 breweries in 40 days. The film follows Paul and his crew as they tour breweries and brewpubs, taste beer, get drunk, get lost, get speeding tickets and defy the limits of the human body by drinking beer for 40 straight days while traveling over 12,000 miles.

38 Breweries all brewing beer, by pretty much the same process. What makes this an interesting viewing experience is the personalities of the individuals at each brewery and the experiences had at each location (and in general on the trip).

Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Beers,
Doc

That's a great documentary, and thanks to Doc for helping others to get to see it as well. ;)

Yes Doc, it is not so much about the process as that part of it doesnt significantly change BUT it is all about the people, the lifestyle, the food, the journey, the mission, the passion, the stories, the trials, tha failures and triumphs!!! God damn it I'm going to go out and pitch it again!

American beer has just gone into my xmas stocking list!

It is definitely the people and the place that makes shows like this interesting and watchable.
Have you seen American Beer! ?
38 Breweries all brewing beer, by pretty much the same process. What makes this an interesting viewing experience is the personalities of the individuals at each brewery and the experiences had at each location (and in general on the trip).

Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Beers,
Doc

The link appears broken Doc?

cheers Ross

Edit: Just seen Geoffs link - Thanks :) - probably too late for Christmas though :(

Hey Chimera,

We finally opened our doors last night (2 Brothers Brewery). Admittedly we've struggled to get our arms around everything all at once (including website development) - our main focus has been getting beer into the brite tank ... then over the bar.

We're open the next couple of nights:
Thursday 20th - 4 pm to 10 pm
Friday 21st - 12:30pm to 10 pm

Come down and tip a couple back if you have time.

Cheers

Andrew

Hey Chimera,

We finally opened our doors last night (2 Brothers Brewery). Admittedly we've struggled to get our arms around everything all at once (including website development) - our main focus has been getting beer into the brite tank ... then over the bar.

We're open the next couple of nights:
Thursday 20th - 4 pm to 10 pm
Friday 21st - 12:30pm to 10 pm

Come down and tip a couple back if you have time.

Cheers

Andrew

Welcome to the forum Andrew & congratulations on the opening of your brewery. An exciting time no doubt & wishing you every success :beer:

Cheers Ross

Back