Ag Recipe For A Quick Beer Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexbrand

Reaction score
Yesterday I got to know, that I have to prepare a beer for november, 4th. It's a birthday party and the birthday boy usually drinks Pils. So I am not allowed to brew a Weizen. I thought about 100% Pilsner malt (may be a hand full of caramel malt) and three rests at 42C, 62C and 72C. Hopping with Northern Brewer and Tettnanger and using a top fermenting yeast (Safale S33 or T58). Could this work? Any suggestions? May be some barley flakes?

I know that 4 weeks are not really enough time, but may be someone has an idea?

Hope springs eternal...

Alex

Yesterday I got to know, that I have to prepare a beer for november, 4th. It's a birthday party and the birthday boy usually drinks Pils. So I am not allowed to brew a Weizen. I thought about 100% Pilsner malt (may be a hand full of caramel malt) and three rests at 42C, 62C and 72C. Hopping with Northern Brewer and Tettnanger and using a top fermenting yeast (Safale S33 or T58). Could this work? Any suggestions? May be some barley flakes?

I know that 4 weeks are not really enough time, but may be someone has an idea?

Hope springs eternal...

Alex
Hi Alex,
hmmm....a Pilsener with top fermenting yeast....never can be a Pilsener :)
what is the rest at 42C for?
If you really wanna do a Pilsener, then hurry up.
If you need some yeast, I can send you, Ive still a lot of freshly harvested high flocculating yeast here.
Just ferment at 10C for 6 days, then start racking, give a shoot of "Brausol" for clearing and after 3 to 4 weeks you may drink already a nice cleared Pilsener.

If you dont like this way, what about an Aussie Pale Ale?
For an Aussie style beer you may do a single infusion mash at around 67C, is quite easy.
Anyway, the name doesnt mean anything, but I think an Ale would be the fastest way.

Cheers mate :icon_cheers:

a Pilsener with top fermenting yeast....never can be a Pilsener :)
I know it should be impossible to produce a pilsner top fermented. It only has to be in this "direction"... ;)

what is the rest at 42C for?
Not 42C. It was a fault, 52C for some foam.

If you really wanna do a Pilsener, then hurry up.
Well, within 4 weeks???

If you need some yeast, I can send you, Ive still a lot of freshly harvested high flocculating yeast here.
I think I have no other chance, eh?

If you dont like this way, what about an Aussie Pale Ale?
For an Aussie style beer you may do a single infusion mash at around 67C, is quite easy.
Anyway, the name doesnt mean anything, but I think an Ale would be the fastest way.
An ale I was thinking about. I am still not quite sure what to do, because of the time...
Aussie pale ale? Never drank one...

Alex
Get yer hands on some California Common yeast. It retains lager characteristics up to 18C, ferments fairly quickly (within a week to 10 days at that temp - generally less), then you can rack into the fridge for a week, rack it COLD onto some gelatin (do a search on how to use it) and then keep it in the fridge cold for another week - thats 3 weeks. Ya can do each fridge rest for only 4 or 5 days if absolutely necessary, then rack to another carboy, COLD, allow to warm to room temp over a day or so, then bulk prime, bottle, and keep the bottles somewhere warmish to carbonate in the next week. Will be green-ish, but you will have a lager like beverage in your 4 weeks.
Best of luck
Trent
EDIT - You have never drank an aussie pale ale?!? Shame on you :lol: Never had yerself a Coopers? The green label is the pale ale. T.

Try using Nottingham dried yeast at lower temps ~15 degrees, it's a nice fast ferment (3-5 days), drops very clear very easily and attenuates pretty well. all done and CC'ing in a week, bottle and bulk prime, and in a month you'll have a nice clear beer. I've made a couple of really nice crisp beers with this yeast, but if you want something hoppy, throw HEAPS of hops at anything with Nottingham in it as it strips out the hops aroma a bit.

why not just go US-05 cold fermented (15 or so), bump the temp up at the end for a short diacetyl rest then crash cool for a couple of weeks to drop the yeast out.

this will give you a psuedo-lager tasting beer.

i'd either go that or nottingham.

personally if youre after a quick beer i dont think you can go past apa's. make on bursting with hop flavour and you can drink them in no time. might offend the birthday boy a little though if his beer of choice is pilsners.

one big big question you havent answered yet is will you be kegging or bottling? i hope for your sake that you are kegging.

I find White Labs Kolsch (WLP029) produces a lager-like beer if fermented 16-18 and cold conditioned for as little as 2 weeks. Add a smidgen of hops and call it a summer ale :)

I find White Labs Kolsch (WLP029) produces a lager-like beer if fermented 16-18 and cold conditioned for as little as 2 weeks. Add a smidgen of hops and call it a summer ale :)

Or for a dry yeast S-23 can be fermented at 18C without any worries. Works quite fast at that temp, if you pitch 2 sachets should be fermented out within 4-5 days I would think, rack to keg and chill it right down until 2 days before serving then gas at 50 psi and adjust pouring pressure right before the party.

If you are bottling then you really have no choice but to do a quick wheatie, even an APA will not be drinkable 4 weeks from fresh wort :(

If you are bottling then you really have no choice but to do a quick wheatie, even an APA will not be drinkable 4 weeks from fresh wort :(

I don't really agree with this. APAs can certainly be ready in that time to my tastes.

I don't really agree with this. APAs can certainly be ready in that time to my tastes.

Yes sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I should have said something like "the average person would not want to drink an APA 4 weeks from fresh wort" ;)

Even more arguable a person used to drinking commercial Pilsner...

I personally have no problem drinking an APA that has only been in the botle a couple weeks, but I also think it is a bit of an acquired taste.

i love my apa's nice and fresh and bursting with hop flavour and aroma. 2 weeks in the bottle is plenty enough to get stuck into it.

Hey folks!

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. HEre in Germany I hardly can get my hands on those "special" yeast strains. So I have todeal with the yeast I have or can get in time. But I promise to brew some beers following your instructions in the future.

For now I decided to brew an ordinary top fermented beer today and the day after tomorrow I'll do a pils (with the help from Zwickel, who sends me some fresh yeast from a brewery close to him). I'll report later, now I have to brew. Time is running... ;)

Alex

+1

I'm sure there are many here who are happy to go grain-to-brain in a week or so with an APA.

The K&K mindset is a bit different however. You need to get rid of that twang.

Latest posts

Back