Ag Pub Ale/ordinary Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbie

Reaction score
I am wanting to do a pub ale/ordinary bitter this weekend (boddington style, though not a clone) and was after an AG recipe.

As a start I thought i would go something like this.

Marriss Otter 90%
Crystal 120 5%
Special roast 5%

Goldingd EK at 60, 30 and 5 - 30ibu

I will be drinking it in about 7 weeks

I brew a St Peters brewery mild which is a nice easy drinking mid strength beer.
IMO the crystal malt is not really required in this style and can tend to dominate the malt a bit too much, but that is just my opinion.
here's what I do.
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 33.16 L
Estimated OG: 1.037 SG
Estimated Color: 26.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.70 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9Grain 94.9 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (550.0 EBC) Grain 5.1 %
25.00 gm Challenger [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (AromHops -

Mash Schedule: Batch Sparge light body
Total Grain Weight: 3.90 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 9.75 L of water at 74.8 C 66.0 C 60 min

Cubbie not sure if this is useful - but I found this once when searching for a Boddingtons recipe

Ingredients: (for 5 gallons)

* 6 lbs. (2720 g) English 2-row pale malt
* 1 oz. (28 g) black patent malt
* 3 ozs. (85 g) Cane (white table) Sugar
* 3/8 Cup (packed) soft dark brown sugar for priming
* 1 oz. (28 g) Fuggles hop pellets (4.5 alpha acid)
* 1 1/8 ozs. (38 1/2 g) E.K. Goldings hop pellets (4.6 alpha acid)
* 1/8 oz. (3.5 g) Northern Brewer hop pellets (7.6 alpha acid)
* 1 tsp gypsum added to mash water
* 1 tsp gypsum added to sparge water
* 1/4 tsp Epsom Salts added to kettle
* Wyeast #1968 Special London Ale (or other suitable ale yeast) made up to a 1 quart (1 litre) starter

Cheers
Steve

Cubbie,

looks a tasty recipe to me. Maris Otter is a nice malt. I'm sure that beer will be better than boddingtons.

Where did you get the Special Roast? What yeast are you using?

Cheers
Stuart

you're looking at a porter with 5% special roast and 5% 120 surely? have you tried running that through a programme for a colour?

neonmeate said:
you're looking at a porter with 5% special roast and 5% 120 surely? have you tried running that through a programme for a colour?
[post="117399"][/post]​

I agree, use one or the other - not both. Be aware that 5% roast will give you a close to black beer by itself. 1% or 2% is plenty.

i got the idea of the proportions from the Jamil show on the TBN. So i dont have the ingredients yet, I will see what my LHBS has and get the equivalents if needed. I have some 1728 Scottish Ale yeast that I will use.

I will run it through a promash and see what I get in terms of colour.

This will only be my 3rd AG. One thing I am not clear on is how to achieve my required boil volume. If i am using a ration of 3-1 water grain, and have want say 30L pre boil. Do I use extra water in my sparge (I batch sparge) or do I use a 3-1 ratio for my sparge and then top up the kettle.

Use all the water required in the sparge

Cheers
Andrew

Promash gives me around 20EBC for that recipe. The special roast is only 79EBC. Can you get it here, cubbie?

Hi cubbie, because you have the Scottish yeast why not try a simple 70/- recipe.

Aim for an OG of 1040 and IBU's of 18-20.

99% Marris Otter or Golden Promise
1% Roast barley
one addition of East Kent Goldings or Fuggles at 60 minutes

Just a suggestion. Otherwise I agree with the others on using either Crystal or Special Roast, not both. Try and get English crystal if you can.

C&B
TDA

sorry, i didn't realise the special roast was so pale. beertools gives 16SRM assuming 72% eff and a 1045 OG - fine for a bitter.
however looks like a US-only grain so good luck finding it - maybe you should sub amber or brown malt.

This is my next English bitter next week - Hopefully in the "Lanlord" style. Can't get Golden promise grain, so adding a touch of crystal to the MO.

Landlord
Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 03/04/2006
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.10 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 96.5 %
0.15 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (118.2 EBC) Grain 3.5 %
42.00 gm Fuggles [5.00%] (80 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
56.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.20%] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
40.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
50.00 gm Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (20 min Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 29.5 IBU
Est Color: 11.9 EBC Color: Color

cheers Ross

Have you tried that much Styrian Goldings before? I know all the references say its there in Landlord, maybe its the bottled versions we get here, but I dont really smell it in there. My experience of SG is a strong/spicy/sweet/vanilla aroma that was overpowering the time I used them.

Ross said:
This is my next English bitter next week - Hopefully in the "Lanlord" style.
[post="117439"][/post]​

I made a Landlord clone extremely similar to that recipe a couple of years ago only with GP malt and 45 IBUs - you'll get very close with that. 1318 is good stuff.

Guest Lurker said:
Have you tried that much Styrian Goldings before? I know all the references say its there in Landlord, maybe its the bottled versions we get here, but I dont really smell it in there. My experience of SG is a strong/spicy/sweet/vanilla aroma that was overpowering the time I used them.
[post="117444"][/post]​

No i havent, but the aroma I'm getting off my NZ Styrian Flowers is very similar to the Landlord Draught I so love - can't detect vanilla at all. I might hold off the dry hopping, until I've tasted it. Thanks...

Ross...

Assuming you are kegging it and trying to get close to real, cask Landlord, don't forget to use LOTS of priming sugar (sucrose) and then vent it. The secondary fermentation in cask that Tim Taylor's beers go through is way more than anyone else's.

Sean said:
Assuming you are kegging it and trying to get close to real, cask Landlord, don't forget to use LOTS of priming sugar (sucrose) and then vent it. The secondary fermentation in cask that Tim Taylor's beers go through is way more than anyone else's.
[post="117454"][/post]​

Sean, i know that's how TT do it, but I'll be simply carbonating this one with CO2 - I'll leave the keg priming until my aspirator arrives from UK & set up my gravity dispencing keg...

cheers...

Ross

Hi cubbie,
I made this a year ago as an ordinary bitter in Beersmith if its any help.
The ahtanum and nelson sauvin were a bit old by then so they were not very aromatic and had probably lost bitterness.

It was a very easy drinking beer that was enjoyed by all.

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.9 EBC) Grain 85.7 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 7.1 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 7.1 %
24.00 gm Challenger [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
14.00 gm Ahtanum [6.00%] (50 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
14.00 gm Ahtanum [6.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
7.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.70%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.039 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.038 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG