Ag No Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day Men,
Just tasted a brew from the keg and it has no taste. Very bland, however it does not have any nasty aftertaste. I'm thinking, can I add some hop pellets to the keg to give some sort of taste?
Cadbury

Prolly need some chinese hops :eek: :lol:

Yes we need the recipe and brew sheet details to help you

Chap Chap

It is for a 60L brew.
10.6 kg Maris Otter
1.2 kg Munich malt 10L
.5 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt 10L
.10 kg Roasted Barley

60 min. 14gm Super Pride 10%
45 min. 14gm Super Pride
15 min. 82gm Super Pride
0 min. 41gm Super Pride

American Ale yeast.
OG: 1048
FG: 1012

I'd put it down to the use of the high alpha Superpride as an aroma hop which it isn't really intended to be. Some brewers like it as a late addition in Coopers type clones, but for a UK special bitter style (as your grain bill suggests) I'd try brewing up half a litre of hop tea stewed for ten minutes with 30g Styrian Goldings and pour that into the keg and let it blend in for a week. Also that American Ale yeast can turn out a bit too 'clean' for a Pom style, I did a Ruddles County clone with US-05 last year and it was less than impressive. Maybe go Ringwood or Thames Valley 2 in your next brew, should hit the spot with that grain bill :icon_cheers:

Otherwise send it to Chappo, he'll drink it all and send you a report :ph34r:

Surely there is some malt flavour?

OK, so I assume your SuperPride had aroma when you put it in the kettle?
It is possible that your ferment was so vigorous that it blew off all the aromatics from your hops.

I would grab a small hop sock and dry-hop in the keg...but that's just me.

These are good as well, currently not available at CraftBrewer but if you are anywhere near a shoppingtown you can get similar from most kitchen shops.

It is for a 60L brew.
10.6 kg Maris Otter
1.2 kg Munich malt 10L
.5 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt 10L
.10 kg Roasted Barley
60 min. 14gm Super Pride 10%
45 min. 14gm Super Pride
15 min. 82gm Super Pride
0 min. 41gm Super Pride
American Ale yeast.
OG: 1048
FG: 1012

How you are not getting any flavour out of this, malt and hop wise is beyond me! :eek:

I'd put it down to the use of the high alpha Superpride as an aroma hop which it isn't really intended to be. Some brewers like it as a late addition in Coopers type clones.

I will say ive had great sucess using superpride as an aroma hop. A 60 min addition @ 20IBU and a 30g flameout addition in a 23/l final volume.

Any hop will give you a noticable aroma and flavour if you add enough of it late in the boil and i can see you have done alot of this with superpride. I found it to be quite peppery, spicy and woodsy.

Maybe i'll go with Les, how was your fermentation profile as i cannot fault your hopping rates or malt bill.

What temp are you serving this at? Too cold and you'll find the flavour will be somewhat muted.

Cheers SJ

something i have found with a couple of brews was that tasting the brew straight out of the keg before it carbonates it was a little less flavourable, waiting a week for it to carbonate made alot of difference to flavour and aroma.

Back