Ag Brew Recipe For Vb Drinkers At Work

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
It looks like our office are planning a weekend away up the coast somewhere for a couple of nights in April. I said that I would brew a beer and keg it for the weekend. So I went and bought a picnic tap and disconnect yesterday, and I think I will buy a little co2 hand charger so I dont need to hault the type D co2 bottle around. I did a test last night on a keg and found I only needed the smallest anount of pressure to pour a beer with the picnic tap. So prior to taking a full keg on holidays I guess I need to make sure its fully carbed up first.
Anyway my question is "What the hell should I brew for a bunch of VB drinkers"?
My first thought was a Golden Ale with 70% BB Ale Malt and 30% Wheat with US-O5 and Tettnang or Amarillo to about 15 IBU's.

or

Should I go with a 80% Pils and 20% Flaked Rice with low IBU's and S-189.
Its just that I have never mase beer to suit anyone but me and going back thru my recipes they are all big ballsy beers.
Please, any idea's would be great.

Steve

As an experiment why not take a few litres of " a big ballsy beer" and dilute it with some boiled water to reduce the strong flavour that we all love but megaswill drinkers don't.

I'd go 50% pils, 40% pale, 10% wheat.
Bitter with POR, flavour and aroma with NB to about 20IBU.
And use a yeast like nottingham or us-05 would be ok, or culture up some coopers pale ale yeast.
Cheers.

That sound good. What about making this keg mobile. If I stood the keg in a small esky on wheels and put ice it it so it covered the bottom half of the keg would that do? as the beer is being drawn from the bottom the beer should stay cold?

Steve, this one goes down well. It's simple, I make it for the son's workmates.

Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 32.89 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 2.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 Grain 75.00 %
1.00 kg Pilsner Malt (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
5.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00 %] (90 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
15.00 gm Nugget [9.80 %] (60 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
25.00 gm Cluster [5.30 %] (20 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Aussie Lager Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.00 kg
----------------------------

Step Time Name Description Step Temp
50 min Mash In - SaccharifAdd 12.00 L of water at 75.4 C 63.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 77.0 C over 10 min 77.0 C

My house golden ale seems to please even the TED and west end drinkers......

55% pils
20% munich
20% wheat
5% caramunich/caramalt
30ish IBUs
15g amarillo @ 10, 5 and dry hop.
US05.

usually make it around 4% and it disappears in a hurry.

My house golden ale seems to please even the TED and west end drinkers......

55% pils
20% munich
20% wheat
5% caramunich/caramalt
30ish IBUs
15g amarillo @ 10, 5 and dry hop.
US05.

usually make it around 4% and it disappears in a hurry.

Hey DrS, loved the look of this so threw it into Beersmith for 'ron. Used 5kg grain bill in 19l. My IBUs came to less than 10 IBU. When you say "30ish IBU" do you mean bitter to about 30IBU (say POR) and the Amarillo late for aroma (on my numbers 40 IBU total) or am I missing something ?

Hey DrS, loved the look of this so threw it into Beersmith for 'ron. Used 5kg grain bill in 19l. My IBUs came to less than 10 IBU. When you say "30ish IBU" do you mean bitter to about 30IBU (say POR) and the Amarillo late for aroma (on my numbers 40 IBU total) or am I missing something ?

Yer, prob should have been more clear. 30IBUs in total.

Here's the whole thing and the last one i made - Domonsura has a keg of it. Had? Has?

2.40 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 56.47 %
0.80 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 18.82 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 EBC) Grain 18.82 %
0.25 kg Caramunich I (Weyermann) (100.5 EBC) Grain 5.88 %
20.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (60 min) Hops 21.9 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo [8.90 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

I have used NB in the past for bittering and since this is a JSGA clone of sorts you could use POR but i havent tried that. I had 500g of amarillo at one point so just kept cranking this one out. Its very easy to drink.

Looking closely, the wheat malt is actually weyermann but suspect that makes very little difference, its just makes it look nicer on paper :rolleyes:

My name is DrSmurto and i have a Weyermann addicition...... :icon_drunk:

One with amarillo would be a pleaser for shore.

Sit down one arvo with a fave keg and start drinking. When you need to pee, get an empty keg, and fill it up. Leave it in the sun for a few days, and serve it ice cold, they will love it and you'll be god amongst them.

Haha now to be serious, i think just pils with a bit of wheat and not too much hops would do, with us56, or whatever it is called now.

Sit down one arvo with a fave keg and start drinking. When you need to pee, get an empty keg, and fill it up. Leave it in the sun for a few days, and serve it ice cold, they will love it and you'll be god amongst them.

Haha now to be serious, i think just pils with a bit of wheat and not too much hops would do, with us56, or whatever it is called now.

Been on the syrup this arvo M ?

What is the IBU levels for a VB ?

Been on the syrup this arvo M ?

What is the IBU levels for a VB ?

I have seen the actual level,cant remember.

My guess would be 22-26 ibu.

But since changing their % I think it may be less,many reports I hear saying it tastes sweeter,go figure

Thats got to be the safe bet. Other than that a kit + kg would save a lot of time too. They won't know what they are drinking anyway.

Steve

hah reducing the ABV to 4.6% must have been the last straw. I can just imagine the "brewers" and beancounters discussion saying

Beancounters "Make it cheaper"
Brewers "We've just maxed out the recipe to 50% sugar already to cut costs and used this really really cheap dextrinous malt that was going to be used for cattle feed only"
Beancounters "Well the cost of sugar has now gone up, so that won't work any more. What else can we do to cut costs?"

anyway that was a bit off topic!

You need to make it *dry* otherwise most swill drinkers will say it's too sweet/too much body etc. So whack at least 10% cane sugar in there and mash around 67C like normal to get at least some body in there. The sugar is much easier to use than stuffing around with flaked rice etc. They won't be used to hop flavour,aroma or malt flavour so keep it subtle. You want a gentle introduction not a boxing round with their tastebuds (although we all know better than that)

I'd say 89% pils/ale malt, 10% cane sugar, 1% pale crystal malt. Bitter with something inoffensive (NOT POR despite what everyone says) like Magnum to 15IBU and then just use about 10g of finishing hops of any variety really, doesn't really matter at that hopping rate. I'd go a Kolsch yeast if going liquid at ferment around 15-16C with at least a weeks' cold carbing, or just US05 should do alright as well, no need stuffing around with a lager yeast for this sort of recipe i reckon

Back