Ag Aussie Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
I am thinking of making a brown ale australian style with the following recipe .. what do you think?

I am not 100% sure on what EBC and IBU to make it so please feel free to add your 2c worth

This is for a triple (60L) batch:
Aussie Brown Ale
OG 1.057
FG 1.015
Method AG
Efficiency 60%
IBU 22
EBC 43

15kg Marris Otter Pale Malt
2.5kg Galaxy Pale Malt
1kg Wheat Malt
0.75kg Chocolate Malt

30g POR 11% @ 60 mins
20g POR 11% @ 30 mins
20g POR 11% @ 1 min

1098 Wyeast Labs British Ale yeast from starter.

So any suggestions on modifying the recipe? I have Pils, Galaxy, BB Pale, Pale xtl, Choc, Caramunich II and Carared malts in stock to use as well as POR and Cascade hops.

I am thinking of making a brown ale australian style with the following recipe .. what do you think?

I am not 100% sure on what EBC and IBU to make it so please feel free to add your 2c worth

This is for a triple (60L) batch:
Aussie Brown Ale
OG 1.057
FG 1.015
Method AG
Efficiency 60%
IBU 22
EBC 43

15kg Marris Otter Pale Malt
2.5kg Galaxy Pale Malt
1kg Wheat Malt
0.75kg Chocolate Malt

30g POR 11% @ 60 mins
20g POR 11% @ 30 mins
20g POR 11% @ 1 min

1098 Wyeast Labs British Ale yeast from starter.

So any suggestions on modifying the recipe? I have Pils, Galaxy, BB Pale, Pale xtl, Choc, Caramunich II and Carared malts in stock to use as well as POR and Cascade hops.

My my limted experience (non) in big all grain batches....is that enough hops you have there for 60 litres?

Going off the BJCP guidlines for english brown and american brown it should be in the range of 15-40 IBUs .. I just went for the low end.

Maybe I should up the IBUs a bit more .. anyone?

Manaen.

Sounds like a nice upbeat version of Hunter's Old or similar. Should be good. :beerbang:

Warren -

Nice colour. For a brown ale I would consider using a little crystal too.

I agree with Kai, a bit of Crystal would do nicely. I'd go 4-5% if I were you. Then bump up the bitterness too - maybe to 28-30 IBUs.

My favourite brown ale was something like:

50% Ale
43% Munich
5% Dark Crystal
2% Roast malt
POR to 35 IBUs
1g/L Willamette FWH
1g/L Willamette @ 15 mins

Quite a different type of beer really, but I thought I'd post it anyway! :rolleyes:

I love the idea of an Aussie Brown Ale. I don't mash but I used to make the Edme Brown Ale kit, 1/2 kg malt light, 1/2kg brown sugar and finish with some northern brewer pellets. Mann's make a brown ale but pricey for a low alcohol and probably pasturised, not sure.

Latest posts

Back