Ag 50l Boils - Bbq Or Natural Gas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Got my 50l Keggle converted and got my grain on the weekend, now i need to get organised with a burner and gas.

How long would a 9KG gas bottle last you guys doing 40-50l boils?

Anyone got a setup connected to their house gas?

Thanks in advance

I get 4 or 5 75 min boils with a NASA burner

3-ring burner with adjustable MP reg and I'll get about 5 double batch brews done.

Well thats not too bad. 5 or so double brews on a single bottle is pretty good. Lucky i get 9kg bottles filled for $10 :)

Still be interested to see if anyone has a setup connected to their home naturalgas.

Cheers

If memory from TAFE serves - and it probably doesn't - LPG has about twice the BTU's of natural gas, so you need more to get the same job done. I've done a few conversions for people who switched their BBQ's to natural gas (just needs a jet change in the burner's) and they work well.
At the end of the day you need to balance up cost (instillation and running) vs convenience vs efficiency to see if its worth it.
Having said that, if I had gas on where I live, that's the way I'd be going.
All you need to worry about is paying AGL once a quarter and your sweet.

I buy my gas in 45kg bottles and get countless (okay...) 4-ring burner brews out of it.

I'd still go electric if I had the option, though. Price: lower. Mucking about: less. Consistency from batch to batch: more.

I get maybe 4 double batches from my 9kg bottle using a rambo burner... had it on last night and the bottom of the keggle was glowing red hot... even had a boilover before i finished sparging. That thing really gets it hot quick.

edit: but saying that... i wnat electric... i have an electric HLT and would love to get an over the side immersion for mashout and kettle boiling.

I have used both LPG and been hooked up to Nat Gas at my last place.
As mentioned you will get 4 to 5 brews per 9kg bottle. If I had a choice I would go Nat gas again.
Its easy, convenient and never run out. Yes LPG does burn hotter so you get to boil a little quicker
but for the little extra time you save Nat gas far out ways in cost savings and convenience long term.
All you need do is change jets.

like dave said lpg has a much higher heating value than natural gas (about 2.5 times as much).
if you were going to go natural gas you would want make sure you choose the right burner as with lpg you can just upgrade your reg to a medium pressure one with natural gas you'll be limited to 2.75kPa because of the reg on your gas meter.

cheers,

stewart

4-5 with an Italian Spiral Burner. I do tend to do 90min boils.

Got me two 9kg bottles for hardware store refilling and a little 3.7kg swap and go in case of emergency run-outs in the dead of night. :ph34r:

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back