After advice on getting longer lasting hop flavor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, after 1-2 weeks it had lost most of the aroma and hop taste.

My reading of the OP's original question in part was also seeking advise on how to maintain the original hop flavour/aroma after a period of time under pressure in his kegs

I would also be interested in responses to this point

Wobbly

Defo keep oxygen out, make sure you purge the keg and do not shake it or move it around until this step has been performed.

Also, I've found that de-gassing and opening the keg (eg: to take a keg-hop bag out) also causes a fair amount of the flavour/aroma to escape. A solution to this it to suspend the bag using fishing line or uncoated dental floss in the keg so the bag is automatically removed once the keg is half consumed. try to avoid de-pressurising your keg once the beer is carbed.

I've also found that aroma is lost in spades if you happen to over-carb your beer for any reason, as the off-gassing necessary to bring it down drives it away.

oh, you could also try temperature hop-stands @ flameout...

15 mins @ 80C and 15 mins @ 60C...

bulk flavour.

dannymars said:
oh, you could also try temperature hop-stands @ flameout...

15 mins @ 80C and 15 mins @ 60C...

bulk flavour.
This. Hop stands under 85degrees are the only thing that has kept that strong hop flavour that sticks around for months for me.

I just did it for the first time a few weeks ago... Tasted the beer from the fermenter yesterday and the hop flavour was insane... most I've ever had for sure.

Cold crashing today and keg tonight (or tomorrow morning depending on how many beers I drink)... Can't wait to drink it!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm certainly learning a lot! I wrote a proper post this morning on the computer with my actual recipe and how I did it but it isn't appearing on here using my phone.
One thing I did was over arb my first keg (using 10L kegs) and had to burp it for a week, so it makes sense I would lose a lot of flavor there. The second keg was carved at serving pressure but I did open it to add hop bag and to remove it.
I really like the idea about using the fishing line to suspend it!

Remove as much yeast as possible before packaging. Finings in fermenter after cold crash, let sit extra few days then transfer.

Dry hopping is the fastest to fade.

hermtrails said:
I brought volume up to 21.5L and pitched nottingham yeast at 25c and into fridge at 18c for 11 days then cold crash to 3.5c for 4 days before kegging.
Response is a bit late but anyway...

Nottingham yeast also has a reputation for stripping hop flavors from a brew. Only used it once but wasn't a big fan. For an APA style beer maybe try something like US05.

Back