Advice on 19l Asahi kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJ

Reaction score
I just inherited two 19l Asahi kegs from a cafe/bar who was dumping them after waiting 18 months without the brewery picking them up.

So I have a few questions, as I would like to start kegging in a few months. I have no experience with kegs at all.

First up, can I even use these kegs for homebrewing?

If so, how should I go about cleaning and preparing them for use? As they have been stored outdoors for 18 months.

From the little that I've researched it seems as though it needs an S-type coupler. Is this correct?

I've watched a couple videos on opening them, but mine don't seem to have the same clip at the top to remove to get the spear out, so I'm well confused.

Lastly, what fittings and associated equipment will I need to get to make use of them?

If anyone here has experience with these, or anyone that can help answer any of my questions could helps out, it would be much appreciated.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414578087.764754.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414578110.081775.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414578128.514471.jpg

Thanks, nathanJ

These are the best .
You can buy a coupler specifically for them, or just use a normal cub style coupler with a bit of plastic shaped to depress the beer part of the keg.
To open use a coupler to release the pressure then the spear screws out anti clockwise.
Use the two lugs on the inside to unscrew it.
You will never get a gas leak or have to replace o rings etc like with cornelius kegs.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I forgot about that stupid clip.
If you want to make it easy and not root the thread like the guy in the above video, use a 2 dollar coin on its edge in the coupler to depress the spring.

I dont like the well type kegs they tend to collect all sort of crap in the well. The type A flat tops are much better and easier to remove the spear.

Latest posts

Back