Advice for friend in Zambia 24 or150l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Have a friend in Zambia and he's interested in brewing, and so has set himself up for Biab. With a few local challenge dilemmas.

He bought a24 litre pot for$150 (welcome to Zambia). The only alternative is to get a150 litre pot. (As I said, welcome to Zambia). He wants to do 19litre batches or
higher. Not interested in small batches.

I just can't see 19 litres from a 24l pot. I'm not sure you could get the concentration of sugars to water it down later, but I've never tried. Advice? Which pot? Can he do 24 l in a 150l pot?

Yob said:
he could always do partials and add in some DME if he could get hold of some?
Probably could at $65 per kg (Welcome to Zambia)

bcp said:
Have a friend in Zambia and he's interested in brewing, and so has set himself up for Biab. With a few local challenge dilemmas.

He bought a24 litre pot for$150 (welcome to Zambia). The only alternative is to get a150 litre pot. (As I said, welcome to Zambia). He wants to do 19litre batches or
higher. Not interested in small batches.

I just can't see 19 litres from a 24l pot. I'm not sure you could get the concentration of sugars to water it down later, but I've never tried. Advice? Which pot? Can he do 24 l in a 150l pot?
Some people use the 19 litre Big W pots to do full batch BIAB, and call it "Maxi BIAB" (eg http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/59609-maxi-biab-and-post-boil-dilution/).

It is basically making a concentrated wort and diluting. I can't find the exact thread now on here explaining how it is done, but if you Google Maxi BIAB you'll get the idea. There is also good discussion here.

Stovetop maxi biab. Not here to argue for against the method in general, but 19l of 1.050 wort from a 24l pot can be done. Another alternative is as Yob suggests add back some dry malt at the end of the boil. Also when I do stovetop milds (sometimes do this as 'double brew day') I quite often mash high but add up to 10-20% simple sugars (mash high for mouthfeel). Heaps of options.

Edit: the ringer looks around and he's beaten by a blow...

Ahhhh... Fond memories of Zambia in the 90's

Chibuku!! Shake Shake! Sorghum and corn beer sold in 2 litre milk-type cartons

shake%20shake%20carton.jpg

Out of interest, will your friend be able to get decently priced malt?

I've just done about 20lt out of a 20lt put using the maxi BIAB method, worked great although I made a huge mess (first time).

Back