Adelaide Meeting With Chris White (whitelabs)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ausdb said:
Dunkel_Boy said:
What is Chris White doing here - stealing our yeasts?
[post="116648"][/post]​

Naah he doesn t want any,
We asked him about where he gets his yeast strains from the other night and he said he hadn't produced any WLP009 for a few years now :p
[post="116651"][/post]​

One thing that Chris mentioned in Hobart, is that they still keep all of their yeast strains that aren't available to purchase. He said that if there is enough interest(approx. 50 vials) then they would be happy to release them.

This is also true for their platinum strains.

Okay, have confirmed a venue with a private room (thanks Roach) :super: ,and Dr Chris White is available. Here are the details:

Caledonian Hotel, North Adelaide for a 7:30pm start tonight

See you there.

C&B
TDA

Anybody that attended want to post new / interesting things that they learnt?

Cheers
Pedro

Heres some random rememberings from Perth.

Pitching a vial of Whitelabs into 600 ml of wort to step up isnt much help. It wakes the yeast up, gets the metabolism going, but there isnt enough food for multiplication. To properly step up, pitch it to minimum 2 l.

The magic number for dissolved oxygen is 10 ppm. This is easy to get by injecting O2, and can get there by injecting air for longer. The most vigorous shaking might get you to about 6 ppm, which is probably enough for most yeasts. But different yeasts have different O2 requirements. Chris woud consider 12 hrs the latest to be adding O2.

The best by date on a vial is the time when cell count will have been reduced by half, assuming some rough handling on the way. In reality they can be revived after a year without fear of mutation.

CO2 presence/pressure has a big impact on yeast activity. Shaking/stirring starters is just as much about degassing CO2 as adding O2. Ferments should be noticeably better without an airlock adding back pressure. A CO2 pressure of 100 kPA is enough to damage yeast.

You can make nice bread with beer yeast, but you have to leave it at least overnight in the rising stage.

Dried yeasts have to be grown in beet sugar to get a high enough cell density, whereas liquid yeasts are propogated in malt. Dry yeast quality control typically requires less than 1 lactic bacteria per million yeast (I think, or did he say thousand?). Anyway, the liquid yeast limit is zero. So Chris is saying (as you would expect him to) that a liquid yeast is inherently more pure than a dried yeast.

For short term storage of slurry, under beer is just as good as under distilled water, when you take into acount the potential to contaminate during the transfer.

You can successfully freeze yeast. But it needs to be at least -60 degrees for long term storage. Whitelabs use cryogenic long term storage. At normal freezer temps, the yeast isnt completely inactive, and damages itself trying to move around.

I'll post something which we didn't discuss as a group but I had a bit of a yarn with chris about during the break over a couple ciggys with his missus.

Anyway Chris asked if theres any direction i'd like to take in questions we when we go back in, although we didn't end up getting to it in the end as a group he basically gave the low down on the standard wort used to determine such things as attenuation, flocculation and yeast profile and so forth.
What he said was that they do not handle grain at all and all the worts used in the lab are extracts with coopers extract getting named along with another brand i can't quite remember, it may have been alexanders or something, anyway for the tests its a 20 gallon batch of pale malt extract made up to 1.040 and thats pretty much it. The question was wether they had a few different standard worts they used for testing but he replied that there was really only that pale malt extract at 1.040 which all the specifactions are given on, I went on further to ask wether they go beyond this making beers to the certain styles the yeast are for to get some extra information but basically from what he said everything pretty much comes down to that simply pale malt extract wort and thats it.

Reasons why i asked this question was i had the idea that maybe they did have a mash brewery at the lab and have a series of worts to use, ie one mashed at 66c one at 68 and one at 70c or something like that but he basically assured me that that don't handle grain at all and everything in the lab uses the pale malt extract 1.040 brew. I didn't ask if these brews were hopped or not as my main reason for asking was to get some sort of refference as to how they come about with the attenuation for each yeast.

Boozed, bruised and broken boned
Jayse

Firstly Chris was very generous with his time and sharing his knowledge and my thanks go out to him, and also TDA for organising it.

Some new and some not so much:
- Lag time of 2 hours or less is not good for yeast
- Lag time of more than 20 hours is also bad and certainly worse than quick lag time
- Overdoing it on a stir plate risks oxygenated stress
- 10ppm of oxygen in wort optimal for yeast but more so for subsequent batches. 2ppm is sufficient for current batch.
- prefers to pitch lagers warm(but no more than 20)and lower temp slowly
- mechanism for yeast to reach Adelaide is for ESB to distribute to local HBSs.
- Chris White drinks TED, though quickly moved to quality imports.

The part I most appreciated was the information on oxygenation, I am getting myself an aeration stone now, and the information on the viability of yeast by the time it reaches us.

120 billion cells when packaged.

Even with handling taken into consideration he believes it would be at least 50% viable at the use by. He said this was pitchable into 20l.

Really was a good night with heaps of good information.

When rousing the yeast from its refridgerated slumber, make sure it's at room temp for a few hours. Shake "shit" out of the vial & pop the lid to vent the pressure. Venting is an important part.

The plastic vials are actually destined to be made into "Pepsi" bottles.

I've forgotten more than I remembered :lol:

The most interesting thing I recall is that some bud scarring is beneficial to the yeast.

Other than that I was happy to hear him confirm my opinion that warming the ferment slightly after the bulk of the gravity has dropped is a good method to follow.

PS I am still very impressed that Chris came out to talk to a small circle of homebrewers like that. It was very nice of him and I'll be buying whitelabs yeast more in future.

wish i made it but had to bury a mate that day. would of loved to have gone. please those who could make it post some more info

Kai said:
Other than that I was happy to hear him confirm my opinion that warming the ferment slightly after the bulk of the gravity has dropped is a good method to follow.

I remember something like that at the Perth evening, that even with lagers by the time the beer has fermented 3/4 of the way to its expected terminal gravity the main flavour compunds have already developed.

Latest posts

Back