Adelaide Brewers Hospitality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jazman said:
forgot the port doc is spos to be shit
[post="87508"][/post]​
The Port Dock is OK. Not the greatest beers in the world but they are ok. Simon, the brewer, is a good bloke too.

Kai said:
There's a brewery in the Riverland?
[post="87438"][/post]​

The Barossa Brewing Company in Greenock would be the only one on the way up to the Riverland.

By the time Zwickel gets here we will hopefully be able to take him to pubs serving Gulf Brewery beers :party: .

Grumpys is a local micro and an important fixture in the homebrewing scene, he should go there.

Then maybe not so far to Greenock, where the Barossa Brewing Company should be running on full steam by then. The Greenock Dark they have on tap at the Greenock pub (currently brewed for them by Steve Nelsen of the Mildura Brewery) is worth the trip alone.

Maybe wortpig and friends will be producing beer on Goolwa Wharf by then too, although this may be a bit optimistic.

A lot of the other drinkeries mentioned are top spots, and maybe easier for locals to assemble in, but I think Zwickel might have fairly ready access to a wide range of bottled European beers :)

The Wellington in north adelaide boasts the largest range of Ozzie beers, but I think they are mainly megaswill. Haven't made it there yet, so shouldn't really say.

or maybe a trip through the barossa and check out some wineries via barossa brewinn and grumpys through the hills.

big d said:
or maybe a trip through the barossa and check out some wineries via barossa brewinn and grumpys through the hills.
[post="87538"][/post]​

I wonder how much it costs to hire a mini bus, and driver, for a day, or two :)

mini bus would be the go wee stu.would certainly cut costs for a few passengers.trouble would be finding a designated driver to stay sober for the journey.

if you go to Mildura, then a stop at Stephanos is a must (forget his other places though they are good aswell), it is downstairs in the wine cellar and Stephano himself may serve you (he did when we went) there is no menu as you get whatever Stephano decides is right for the day and it's wine only if my memory serves correctly. I know people who fly from Sydney and back just for the experience of Stephanos and nothing else. You may have to book in advance though.

They serve beer there other than the Mildura Brewery stuff, Stephano will abuse you if you drink anything other than the mildura brewery beer. He is part owner. corkage is not cheap but the wine list is better than fairly priced. I took my own but then I have connections to the place. One of the other winemakers at work used to be a chef there and he set it up.

I got a lot of inspiration from that place. The food is nothing short of sensational, still trying to make gorgonzola gnocci like he does, I think I will be trying for a while.

kirem said:
You like that dark thing?

Too sweet for me.
[post="87543"][/post]​

I only had the one schooner, but I was impressed by the chocolate and coffee notes contained in it (admittedly more latte than espresso). By no means a bitter beer, but I'll certainly be heading back some time for a second opinion.

nonicman said:
if you go to Mildura, then a stop at Stephanos is a must (forget his other places though they are good aswell), it is downstairs in the wine cellar and Stephano himself may serve you (he did when we went) there is no menu as you get whatever Stephano decides is right for the day and it's wine only if my memory serves correctly. I know people who fly from Sydney and back just for the experience of Stephanos and nothing else. You may have to book in advance though.
[post="87551"][/post]​

kirem said:
They serve beer there other than the Mildura Brewery stuff, Stephano will abuse you if you drink anything other than the mildura brewery beer. He is part owner. corkage is not cheap but the wine list is better than fairly priced. I took my own but then I have connections to the place. One of the other winemakers at work used to be a chef there and he set it up.

I got a lot of inspiration from that place. The food is nothing short of sensational, still trying to make gorgonzola gnocci like he does, I think I will be trying for a while.
[post="87556"][/post]​

I am lucky enough to be going for a long weekend in early December. Dinner at Stephanos on Friday, tour of the brewery and lunch there Saturday, Sunday long (3 and a half hour) lunch cruise on Stefano's Avoca paddle steamer. About a dozen of us going - to coincide with the opening of a mate's show at an art gallery. Lazy two day drive home. I am looking forward to it muchly :) .

i'm in favour of the markets fish and bbq idea with plenty of brews.
somewhere central.
then if you all want to get in a van and go to mildura and verdun, go for it.

I was quite impressed by some of the beers at the Port Dock - The sweet stout was excellent, not that I could drink too many...

Latest posts

Back