Adding Dextrose At Dry Hop Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enoch1973

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just did a dark ale the other night and was going to add some DEX to it but didn't.
I've changed my mind and would like to add it.
I'm going to dry hop tomorrow night but I'm wondering if add 100g of Dex is advisable or would you leave it out.
The air lock is going like a rocket... The US-05 is loving the cooler temps :)
Just curious
Pete
Edit: I just read dig's post about dry hopping in WRDA thread...
Do you think it's useless? Just trying to gain some knowledge here.
P.S. I think I've graduated to Pull-Ups...

can't see a prob adding dex early into ferment if you want to up the alc% a bit but 100g might'nt make a big difference,if you are going to add desolve dex in some pre boiled water first,maybe 200ml

Fine to add but make sure it ferments out.

Dry hop if you want dry hop characteristics - nothing wrong with the process.

Don't see much point in worrying about 100g of Dex, if the brew was 22.5 L you are only talking about adding ~0.4oP or 0.0018 to the SG, I don't think that's going to change the beer enough to notice.

Dry Hopping on the other hand, well I'm a fan but also know it's down to personal taste, it works really well in some beers and is less successful in others.

MHB

Hey there Pete

Hope you've been resting that back and not lifting your fermenter.

Like the others say, 100 dex won't make a big diff. But it wouldn't hurt your beer if you did it. When I rack to 2nd and I've missed the end of the ferment I'd put a t-spoon or two in the 2nd to build up a co2 layer to protect the beer.

As for dry hopping, I'm a fan of it for the right beer. I've been finding a grassy taste of late but a decent malt profile will hide it. I've been using the hop tea method recently with good results and much less or no grassiness.

Give the dry hop a go. Are you going to drop in loose or in a bag? Let us know how you get on.

Jack

Back