Added too much hops, scales on wrong setting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each to their own but for $12 delivered I had a pocket set of digital scales that work perfectly. I make enough mistakes with my brews to worry about inaccurate measurements.
There was a time not all that long ago when you'd pay $200 for digital scales. God bless China.

DSC_0122.JPG
Mate buy some scales. DSC_0071.jpg
I also have a .001kg set but we won't go there.

Don't want to steal too much of ekul's post! Let's just say my method works for me and I think in some circumstances can be worth considering as an alternative means of measuring.

Be interested to know how you approached your problem ekul, whether you're brewing some more ale to mix in and dilute the pungency of the hops or treating it as an ale with a double hopped potency.

TimT said:
Don't want to steal too much of ekul's post! Let's just say my method works for me and I think in some circumstances can be worth considering as an alternative means of measuring.

Be interested to know how you approached your problem ekul, whether you're brewing some more ale to mix in and dilute the pungency of the hops or treating it as an ale with a double hopped potency.
I don't really understand your method Tim: I'm a scales man.

But now I think of it, it really is no different to a good chef adding a handful of flour, dash of milk or pinch of salt. Difficulties arise, of course, when it comes to following a recipe or sharing a recipe with others, but of course you know that.

If adding hops by the spoonful works for you, I say go for it.

This reminds me of an episode of Weeds where one of the characters questions the weight of a Baggie. The dealer says "Bitch, I could eyeball an ounce from outer space with my glasses cracked".

I found myself in the unfortunate position of discovering that my scales were fucked just as my boil was starting. Better eyeballing skills would have been handy.

Allowing for serendipitous variation seems central to Tim's brewing ethos & while I'm in the scales camp, I think it's kind of cool.

Ekul, I didn't account for some higher AA hops once and brewed a nasty bitter beer. I still had a bottle left on the weekend (I was hoping it'd mellow) and opened it to check it out. After about 2 years in the bottle, it was still like stinging earwax (I assume). Hope yours goes better than mine.

I'm just going to let it ferment out. If its too bitter i'll add some extract and some crystal and bottle. The bottling will smooth out the bitterness and extract twang I figure. I've got 4 kegs full (ones only half full though), 2 fermenters full and 2 cubes full. Wont affect supply if i have to bottle a batch :)

As an ex-chef I totally get the pinch and dash approach and I often use it myself. Just wouldn't recommend it as 'more reliable'.

Back