Too much sugar added !!!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgin_Brewer

Reaction score
I put a beer down in my fermzilla & put the dextrose that i had put aside for my ginger beer in the fermzilla as well as the 500g i was supposed to [emoji22]. So all up i put in 1.5kg of dextrose instead of only 500g !!! If i leave it in for a few extra weeks, will that bring the alcohol content down from sky high ??? Suggestions ??? Cheers

It isn't really all that bad, you have added 1kg more dextrose than planed.
Without more information I'm only guessing but lets say you are doing a "standard" 23L batch.
1kg of dextrose will only add 910g of fermentable that means about 0.0156 of extra gravity, that is about 2% more alcohol than planed.
Suggestions! - meh it wont affect the flavour too much, just pay attention next time and drink with caution.

Don't know where you get the idea that waiting will bring the alcohol down, that isn't generally the case, well unless its an open fermenter that really hot (say >78oC).

There are plenty of other things you can do, like make a lower alcohol beer and blend... but it probably isn't worth it in this case.
Mark

PS - Love the avatar
m

It isn't really all that bad, you have added 1kg more dextrose than planed.
Without more information I'm only guessing but lets say you are doing a "standard" 23L batch.
1kg of dextrose will only add 910g of fermentable that means about 0.0156 of extra gravity, that is about 2% more alcohol than planed.
Suggestions! - meh it wont affect the flavour too much, just pay attention next time and drink with caution.

Don't know where you get the idea that waiting will bring the alcohol down, that isn't generally the case, well unless its an open fermenter that really hot (say >78oC).

There are plenty of other things you can do, like make a lower alcohol beer and blend... but it probably isn't worth it in this case.
Mark

PS - Love the avatar
m
Thanks mate. The avatar is the name of my bar/mancave [emoji16]. With the brew, i actually made it to 25L, hopefully it turns out ok. It's on day 6 now & the pressure is around 8psi slowly dropping from 15psi. Does this mean that it's towards the end of fermentation ? Have 60g of hops to add yet, was thinking of adding them tomorrow.

Well 25L will mean a bit less extra alcohol (tiny bit 2*23/25) cant help you with the pressure questions, not really my bag.
Mark

You never know just how good it may be! The manufacturers of Altbeir invented Sticke Altbeir by complete mistake (as did I) You may have to let it mature in flavour a bit longer but too strong? Never! I just made a mistake with a brew and I’m busting to try it haha…. (scaled one of the hops wrong)

Latest posts

Back