Add a boil to a weak wort already fermenting ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
So being strapped for time I got one of the new black ipa fresh wort kits from St. Peter's brewery. So emptied the cube and added the 8 liters of water. The label said it would make 20 liters but only had 18. So did a gravity reading to see if it was strong and if I should add more water and it was only 1040. So it's going to be a very weak black iPa once it's done. Pitched the yeast even though wasn't happy.

To bump it up Thinking of getting a kilo of ldm and doing a quick boil with some centennial and Nelson suavin i have in the freezer. Can I add this after a few days fermenting already ? If so should I pitch more yeast when adding ?

You can. Add cool and avoid splashing.
How much yeast was originally pitched?

It's one of the German traditional methods and apparently still common, where the original wort got underpitched, so a second lot of wort is added later on. The yeast would have bred up in the meantime.

Called Drauflassen.

Should work very well - the Germans do the second wort addition when krausening becomes established, but in your case as it's been a few days as Manticle says avoid introducing too much oxygen so do it quick and whack the lid or clingwrap on.

Bribie G said:
It's one of the German traditional methods and apparently still common, where the original wort got underpitched, so a second lot of wort is added later on. The yeast would have bred up in the meantime.

Called Drauflassen.

Should work very well - the Germans do the second wort addition when krausening becomes established, but in your case as it's been a few days as Manticle says avoid introducing too much oxygen so do it quick and whack the lid or clingwrap on.
Bribie, I’m sure that’s a typo but it’s not done where the original wort got underpitched. The original wort needs to be pitched correctly then stepped up with the second batch. Bit like a big starter.

st peters fresh worts have gone down hill over time, have heard reports of some being in the 30's :(

radshoes said:
st peters fresh worts have gone down hill over time, have heard reports of some being in the 30's :(
Yeah I stopped using them over a year ago cause I got a few duds in a row in the high 30s. I read these newer ones are better but seems to be the same to me.

radshoes said:
Yeah I stopped using them over a year ago cause I got a few duds in a row in the high 30s. I read these newer ones are better but seems to be the same to me.

What do they put on the label for ingredients .

are you guys saying you've bought a fresh wort kit and the gravity was way under? that's unacceptable if the case

S.E said:
Bribie, I’m sure that’s a typo but it’s not done where the original wort got underpitched. The original wort needs to be pitched correctly then stepped up with the second batch. Bit like a big starter.
Yes, I could have summarised it a little better.

droid said:
are you guys saying you've bought a fresh wort kit and the gravity was way under? that's unacceptable if the case
yes. the website said to expect the beer to be 6.5% . aint getting anywhere near that at 1040 OG ,and thats at almost 2 liter lower volume than the label says

not trash talking anyone. sh.t happens as we all know, I emailed the suppleir to let them know., see what they say

wynnum1 said:
What do they put on the label for ingredients .
not sure if it says other than hopped with nelson

I'll check it when I get home

mongey said:
yes. the website said to expect the beer to be 6.5% . aint getting anywhere near that at 1040 OG ,and thats at almost 2 liter lower volume than the label says

not trash talking anyone. sh.t happens as we all know, I emailed the suppleir to let them know., see what they say
well, every cube should have an exact OG written on it, that beer is coming from a big batch and they would know exactly what gravity of the batch is. I've never bought one but if I ever did I'd be taking my refractometer to the shop and testing it there - if it wasn't within a point or two I'd get the shop owner to ring them on the spot and get my money back

shit, we can work out our gravities easy enough so i would be very interested to hear the reasoning behind why there is a variance, i bet they never accidentally make them higher

all too hard this week to get to the brew shop so decided I'm just gonna leave it ,dry hop it a litte for flavour and hopefully it gets down to 1008 or below so its at least over 4%

Back