Activating Kit Yeast Using A Magnetic Stirrer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skurvy84

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

i've had a search on the forums but was unable to locate the info im after and i've made the magnetic stirrer from one of the many DIY's available on here and on the net.

With the standard kit yeasts available with the regular coopers kits is there any benefit in making a yeast starter and using the magnetic stirrer to get the action going for them to pitch into my brews.

i've used the SAF yeasts before but not with the stirrer, i've got maybe 5-6 of the packet yeasts available and i want to use them up, will this make the kit yeast better or more active or am i going to waste my time?.

quality of yeast doesnt change on a stirrer. it just gives it a better chance of starting and growing.

so yes using a stirrer with kit yeast you can make a stronger starter but it will still be the same quality yeast.

your other option for kit yeast that you dont want to use as yeast is to use it as nutrient. ie boil the kit yeast up so its dead and its then a great little nutrient for the live yeasties in your brew.

Probably wasting your time. Dry yeasts need at most, rehydration in preboiled water for 30mins prior to pitching. They contain many more cells that liquid yeasts. It is generally not necessary to build them up in a starter.

It is liquid yeasts that require/benefit from being grown in starters. Partly because you need more than one packet for good healthy ferment and partly because it is acostly excersise purchashing two or more packets of liquid yeast.

The best thing you can do with your kit yeasts (as their condition is unknown from sitting under the tin lid for months on a shelf) is to boil them up and use them as nutrient for your better yeasts.

Cheers SJ

edit CM2 types faster than me!

+1 You deplete the built in reserves that dry yeast has by making a starter with it

okay so in saying that there is a little benefit to this, but is not worth it.

is it possibly to use the kit yeast as a nutrient like everyone has mentioned for another kit yeast?

its not going to hurt. its just nutrient once it killed (boiled). so yeah chuck it in there

To clear things up........

If you wish to use the kit yeast for a brew do not boil it up; just rehydrate and pitch to the brew. Unless you are using pure lager yeast with a high gravity wort. then you can use 1 packet of yeast to multiple using the stir plate for your starter.

If your making a Coopers Ale using the kit yeast and you grow up the yeast starter and pitch it you will overpitch.

If you do NOT wish to use the kit yeast for a brew boil it up. Boiling will kill off the yeast cells but leave behind the nutrients from within the packet. If you then add these nutrients to another yeast it will grow healthier.

Check out mrmalty.com for yeast pitching rates.

QldKev

Back