Access To Unmalted Barley Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Gas Man

Reaction score
I have a farmer mate who grows "Hindmarsh" barley on his property. Most of the time it is of high enough quality that is sold as malt (rather than feed). He also has access to "schooner" barley from other properties.

My question is:
a) Can you use this raw barley to make beer (ie without going through a seperate malting process) or
b) Is it possible to malt your own barley at home?

Cheers
Paul

A: NO
B: yes

look in the articles section some one did grow and malt there own barley, I think they put it in there

You can use raw wheat to make witbier but never heard a style that used raw malt.

a) yes you can, you could mix it with malted barley say 50-50 and get conversion of the unmalted stuff

b. yes you can home malt, bit of effort but do-able

Can be used if u home malt it.
Very easy, just time consuming. Lots of links around on how & an article here which has video.
Basically all say the same thing: germinate some grain & kiln it at the right time.
Don't know why more people don't: especially those who can't get malt easily (rural). It's easy

Ive done 2 pilot batches (one of which was all homegrown hops also) & plan to up the scale this year. Check my profile for my grow blog/article. It's all still in the paddock this year so far.

Another option is to add a bit of raw (10%) & use the enzymes from your full mod malts to convert.
Use instead of rice to cheapen a brew but keep it to the Purity Law.
Havnt actually tried it, but it's on the list of experiments for this seasons crop.

Latest posts

Back