Abbey Medieval Festival

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras77

Reaction score
Hey People

For all of us that live in Queensland and anyone else interested in travelling up.

The Abbey Medieval Festival is comming up in July 10th and 11th. I was there last year and had a blast so I am heading back again this year.

http://www.abbeytournament.com

They are moving a new, dedicated site this year away from modern buildings so it should be a real sight. The weekends programme includes live jousting, swordmanship displays, medieval football, horseback archery and falconry. Not to mention live entertainment, markets (including Saturdays night markets), blacksmithing and the ever-popular bust wenches. (No, not really. But a man can dream).

Oh and if you do go, jump in and get your jousting tickets first up because last year was a sell out by midday. Last year over 22,000 people went through the gates so this year is sure to attract huge crowds as well.

And if you do go, look out for the man in the robin-hood tights with the feather in their cap, hanging around the jousting arena. That will be me.

Cheers

Ras

Oh and have put Chappos + Bonj's names down for the Turkish oil wrestling :)

I live just up the road from there and it's awesome like you wouldn't believe. My son goes as a village idiot type peasant - I've made some half hearted enquiries about doing replica medieval ales but I think the licencing issues would be way too hard to overcome. I usually get pissed up on the mead - they also usually have Tooheys old on at the beer tent as well.

Haven't got my work roster yet, I often work Sat and Sun, here's hoping. Ras we'll have to link up if it looks like I'm getting there. What colour is your codpiece ?

:)

THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!! be worth a trip up one year.

THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC!!! be worth a trip up one year.

Winterfest in Sydney is a little closer to you...http://www.winterfest.com.au/

I apologies for their website (even though I have nothing to do with it)... its pretty crap.

I'll be there again this year swinging a sword. And maybe a quarterstaff.

Cheers
Dave

Oh and have put Chappos + Bonj's names down for the Turkish oil wrestling :)

The Hippy vs the Beast.... Hmmmm? Most excellent! :p

Well I've noted this one in the calendar as I missed last years and was sorry I did.

Cheers for the heads up Raz.

I will not be hard to miss BribieG i have the position of Jousting tokens coordinator "which means i have to deal with the 1600 people each jousting event". Will be there for the week before the festival to help sample the mead...I mean to help set up.

Wife will be there also as she got me into this shit :)

Really looking forward to seeing the encampments this year as they are arranged in different periods in history so will be like a living history display. Hopefully soon they will start adding real medieval buildings to the site to make it more authentic. And the thought of opening a medieval brewery has crossed my mind more than once, but youre right, the licensing would be a killer.

cheers
Ras

Raz I have rellies from Sydney coming up in early July but if possible I'd love to help with the setup, pm me please. I work weekends and off weekdays, generally.

Latest posts

Back