A whole lot to learn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
G'day guys and gals,

I've been reading this forum almost daily for months now and thought I should really pull my finger out and say G'day.

I have to say that all the information and knowledge on this site is truly amazing, ( if not a little daunting at times).

I haven't done much brewing to be honest. Did a few K&Ks about 10 years ago, but they were fairly horrendous as I just followed the instructions. I didn't enjoy the extreme metallic taste that I was creating, so I didn't stick at it for too long.

Anyway, long story short, found a 3 Tier system on ebay last year and jumped on it, (wasn't a great buy, but I talked my mate into going halves in brewing equipment.)

We've now done only six brews. The first two are almost finished, which is upsetting as they are fantastic and record keeping was very poor in the beginning, so tough to reproduce. The other four are sitting in my lounge room fermenting, (A Black IPA, a Russian Imperial Stout, A Fatter Yak and a Dr Smurto's Golden ale) Most of which will need to be kegged very soon, which I'm yet to do, so a bit more reading before then.

Just put together the STC-1000 last night and hunting for a cheap large fridge, as I think the temp range in the lounge room isn't consistent enough.

I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you guys in the future and if there is anyone around the beaches of Sydney who wouldn't mind someone helping them out on brew day let me know. I'm not to bad on the cleaning side of things ;)

Cheers,
Richard

5150 said:
Just put together the STC-1000 last night and hunting for a cheap large fridge, as I think the temp range in the lounge room isn't consistent enough.
Just hook the STC-1000 up to the lounge room aircon and your laughing :)

Wish i could ferment in the lounge room :(

5150 said:
No Aircon in the lounge room, I don't think the snake would like it :D

Yeah, one bonus about not having a missus.
... you get to play with your snake more often? :ph34r:

Edak said:
... you get to play with your snake more often? :ph34r:
4 posts in and already innuendo (in-YOUR-endo...)

5150 said:
G'day guys and gals,

I've been reading this forum almost daily for months now and thought I should really pull my finger out and say G'day.

I have to say that all the information and knowledge on this site is truly amazing, ( if not a little daunting at times).

I haven't done much brewing to be honest. Did a few K&Ks about 10 years ago, but they were fairly horrendous as I just followed the instructions. I didn't enjoy the extreme metallic taste that I was creating, so I didn't stick at it for too long.

Anyway, long story short, found a 3 Tier system on ebay last year and jumped on it, (wasn't a great buy, but I talked my mate into going halves in brewing equipment.)

We've now done only six brews. The first two are almost finished, which is upsetting as they are fantastic and record keeping was very poor in the beginning, so tough to reproduce. The other four are sitting in my lounge room fermenting, (A Black IPA, a Russian Imperial Stout, A Fatter Yak and a Dr Smurto's Golden ale) Most of which will need to be kegged very soon, which I'm yet to do, so a bit more reading before then.

I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you guys in the future and if there is anyone around the beaches of Sydney who wouldn't mind someone helping them out on brew day let me know. I'm not to bad on the cleaning side of things

Cheers,
Richard
Welcome Richard, and good job on the lovely first couple of beers. I have about 4 A4 pages of notes for my first couple, including lessons learned. But don't sweat it, the beauty is you will probably make something better than the first couple anyway. :) Sucks that it disappears so quickly... of the 70L brewed in the last couple of weeks I will probably get to rightfully call a carton mine, then the mates will be kicking down the door for the rest. :unsure: :drinks:

Mate of mine in Bahrain ferments in a spare room with the aircon turned up to eleven. Does lagers even.

Not short of energy over there.

Back