A Simpler Koelsch

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyMac

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Long time, no post.

I'm having a crack this weekend (maybe) at my first Koelsh. I've researched varous websites (and used beersmith suggestions) to come up with the following recipe. Simple - and I also have all of the ingredients in stock:

4.35kg German Pilsner
0.25kg Wheat Malt
0.25kg Munich

I;m looking at hopping with Northern Brewer, 22gm at 60mins and 7 gm at 30mins, and using 2565 Koelsch yeast.

My query lies in mash temp, and whether or not it is deemed necessary to step the temperature over a period of time. By this I mean that I have come across suggestions to mash in at about 50deg, step up to 60deg and hold for 1/2 hour, again to 70 and hold for 15mins, then mash out at 80deg. Now to me, being the simple type of brewer, this seems a it too complex. Another suggestion was to decoct 40% of the mash after 60 minutes, boil for 10mins and return to the tun.

Does anyone have an opinion on the best and hopefully simplest method? Being my first, I want to keep it reasonably simple, and will increase complexity with my own confidence.

I look forward to you responses. I'm also open to comments re recipe (ie. first wort hopping with tettnang for a bit of spice perhaps??).

AnthonyMac

Cheers Rook, a little help, but not quite what I'm after. We'll see what ideas others might put forward.

But thanks again!

AMac

My query lies in mash temp, and whether or not it is deemed necessary to step the temperature over a period of time. By this I mean that I have come across suggestions to mash in at about 50deg, step up to 60deg and hold for 1/2 hour, again to 70 and hold for 15mins, then mash out at 80deg. Now to me, being the simple type of brewer, this seems a it too complex. Another suggestion was to decoct 40% of the mash after 60 minutes, boil for 10mins and return to the tun.

According to the BJCP guidelines, a single temp rest at 149F = 65C can give good results.

edit: just realised that is already mentioned in the thread linked by therook...

Ah - I see. Ok. Definately noted. And apologies, Rook, I see where you were going now. It almost seems to be that koelsch can be as complex or as simple to brew as you please.

My general method is a mash in at about 66, mash out at 76. This works fine for the ales, porters and pilsners I do on a regualr basis. Venturing into new ground now.

looks like a nice recipe.
Similar to mine. I find I dont need to step or decoct
for my kolsch and it comes out very nice, slightly dry.
I just single infuse at 66*.
Just got the judging notes back from Bathurst and all 3 sheets
said it had perfect body for the style.

If you're using a fully modified malt like the Weyermann German Pilsner malt, you should not need anything other than a single infusion (with or without mashout) to get a good result. I see you're adding some munich which has a bit of melanoidin. A decocted kolsch would not need it but you'll probably achieve a very similar result by using a proportion of munich instead.

The recipe sounds spot on. I might swap the hops for Hallertauer MF, Tettnanger or Saaz and omit the flavour hops, but that is personal preference and not stylistic. On such a light beer as this by using more of lower alpha hops you will get some hop character, even when boiled for 60 minutes.

MFS

Latest posts

Back