(a)ipa Recipe Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Just started a german pilsner (with another on the way) and am now looking at doing an IPA, possibly an American style IPA. Only brewed one IPA before around 3 years ago, now I'm using grain and less extract and want to brew another soon. Just had some mucking around with making up a recipe, any help much appreciated -
25L Brew

2.00kg Light DME (37%)
1.00kg Dark DME (18%)
1.00kg Pale grain (18%)
0.50kg Caramunich II (9%)
0.50kg Wheat grain (9%)
0.25kg Carapils (4.5%)
0.25kg Melanoidin (4.5%)

EBC = 26
Est. O.G = 1.066
Est. F.G = 1.019 (high?)
Yeast = US-05

Hops = Centennial, Chinook & Simcoe
IBU = ~40

Does that grain bill sound over the top/not enough/wrong?
With the hops I was thinking of using the Centennial for bittering as I have read Chinook is a bit too much for bittering, maybe doing a hop-mix with the 3 of them for the late additions and aroma/dry hoppings.
What would you do with those hops?
Cheers :icon_cheers:

Hey Noxious,

Vitalstatistix brews a smoking AIPA. He's recipe is all grain. But I recommend his hop schedule. Send him a msg, im sure he'd be happy to share.

Cheers,
Megs

I have just been looking working an IIPA recipe for my first brew in ages.

I think that the combo of DME + your 500g Caramunich II will give you something on the sweet side, perhaps back it off.

One option is to throw the whole lot in your partial mash and see if the diastatic power of the pale malt will break down the DME a little.

I love the toothy "man bittering" that Chinook gives, but if you wanted avoid it, Simcoe is a great bittering hop as well as a stanky aroma hop, Centennial is a fantastic late/dry hop.

+1 on Vitalstatistix's IPA

I've been planning an IPA for a future brew as well, based on this one by tasty mcdole but fiddling around with changing it for nochill, it uses cascade instead of simcoe though.

Just started a german pilsner (with another on the way) and am now looking at doing an IPA, possibly an American style IPA. Only brewed one IPA before around 3 years ago, now I'm using grain and less extract and want to brew another soon. Just had some mucking around with making up a recipe, any help much appreciated -
25L Brew

2.00kg Light DME (37%)
1.00kg Dark DME (18%)
1.00kg Pale grain (18%)
0.50kg Caramunich II (9%)
0.50kg Wheat grain (9%)
0.25kg Carapils (4.5%)
0.25kg Melanoidin (4.5%)

EBC = 26
Est. O.G = 1.066
Est. F.G = 1.019 (high?)
Yeast = US-05

Hops = Centennial, Chinook & Simcoe
IBU = ~40

Does that grain bill sound over the top/not enough/wrong?
With the hops I was thinking of using the Centennial for bittering as I have read Chinook is a bit too much for bittering, maybe doing a hop-mix with the 3 of them for the late additions and aroma/dry hoppings.
What would you do with those hops?
Cheers :icon_cheers:

I'd just use 3kg light DME & sub the Caramunich II for I. The hops sounds good but 40ibu is on the lower end for an American IPA. And yes, 1.019 is high also. More like 1.014 to 1.016 is where I aim for.

Thanks for the tips all,
Megs80 - where can I find this recipe? I can't see it in the recipeDB and did a bit of a search with no luck, will i have to PM him to get it??

Bizier - I have been only mashing my grains (not w/DME) then boiling for an hour then adding to the fermenter and stirring in the LDME. Will adding the DME to the mash/boil give me better attenuation or something? I'm curious now..

Felton - Cheers, that recipe looks good - except for the bloody imperial measurements. OT- Funny how every other country except the USA, Burma and Liberia realise that metric makes sense, how do you spell stubborn in American? :ph34r:

BrenosBrews - I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Est. F.G = 1.019. Could I maybe mash at a different temperature to increase the fermentability of the wort or would it just be best to exchange some caramunich for pale grain?

Thanks again, this has me very keen to brew this one now.. :beerbang:

I know what you mean, if you use beersmith you can enter the imperial numbers into a recipe and it will auto convert

sear web for "Tasty APA" recipe, its da chit

I would aim for a BU:GU ratio of around 1 ... so 65IBU for a 1.065 GS. To me 40 IBU is more an APA.

Chinook is piney and grapefruit. They tend to be love/hate hop for late additions.

Centennial is a good late/dry hopper.

I would aim for a BU:GU ratio of around 1 ... so 65IBU for a 1.065 GS

As a minimum!!! Dont be afraid to go over a BU:GU ratio of 1, even up to 2 wont hurt!!

Nothing wrong with Chinook as a bittering hop, it just leaves a lingering very bitter bitterness!

I am also personally not a fan of centennial in the boil, if it were me I would save the centennial for flame out and dry hop additions!! Bitter with chinook, choc loads of simcoe and chinook from 20 mins, truck loads of all 3 at 0 mins and even more in the dry hop :icon_drool2:

Thanks for the tips all,
Megs80 - where can I find this recipe? I can't see it in the recipeDB and did a bit of a search with no luck, will i have to PM him to get it??

Bizier - I have been only mashing my grains (not w/DME) then boiling for an hour then adding to the fermenter and stirring in the LDME. Will adding the DME to the mash/boil give me better attenuation or something? I'm curious now..

Felton - Cheers, that recipe looks good - except for the bloody imperial measurements. OT- Funny how every other country except the USA, Burma and Liberia realise that metric makes sense, how do you spell stubborn in American? :ph34r:

BrenosBrews - I was thinking the same thing when I saw the Est. F.G = 1.019. Could I maybe mash at a different temperature to increase the fermentability of the wort or would it just be best to exchange some caramunich for pale grain?

Thanks again, this has me very keen to brew this one now.. :beerbang:

Hey Noxious,

He's recipe isnt posted on the recipe DB. Just send him a pm. He should be able to help you out.

Cheers,
Alex

Yeah knocking the Caramunich back to 250 grams would bring down the final gravity a touch & maybe even cut out the Carapils as that increases body a bit.

The extract is already malted so that's not going to help with attenuation but I generally add half at the start and half at the end of the boil.

Ditch the melanoidin too and keep your non-fermentables (xtals/carapils) to the min you need for flavour/colour.
Combined with a resiny/oily hop finish it can end up too cloying.

You could even sub a few % sucrose/dextrose in future batches if all the LDME ends up a bit full bodied and chewy.

Don't be afraid of the IBU's - you will need this to cut through the malt and balance it out.
Good luck :)

Here is my recipie. I used Tasty's recipie as a base when formulating it and have been tweeking it for a while now. My latest version (not this one) I have dried it out alot after being in the USA and being influenced by Pliney.

For partial I would sub out as little 2 row as you can for light malt extract (even a small amout subed for dextrose for dryness) and mash the remaining grain at a lowish temp again for the dry factor. I would also add at least a little 2 row to the mash to help the munich convert even though it is probably not required.

"man bittering", :lol: - nice one Dan.

[codebox]Recipe: R Rated -IPA

Brewer: Andrew Gaul

Asst Brewer:

Style: American IPA

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 23.00 L

Boil Size: 24.95 L

Estimated OG: 1.075 SG

Estimated Color: 30.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 92.2 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount Item Type % or IBU

0.20 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 2.60 %

5.50 kg Traditional Ale Malt (Joe White) (6.0 EBC)Grain 71.43 %

0.50 kg CaraHell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 6.49 %

0.50 kg Crystal Pale - 60 - 120 EBC (Joe White) Grain 6.49 %

0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Weyermann) (4.0 EBC) Grain 6.49 %

0.25 kg Crystal Malt Dark (260.0 EBC Grain 3.25 %

0.25 kg Munich (Joe White) (18.0 EBC) Grain 3.25 %

25.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (60 min) Hops 28.0 IBU

20.00 gm Chinook - 2008 [11.40 %] (60 min) Hops 26.3 IBU

40.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (15 min) Hops 11.9 IBU

40.00 gm Cascade -2008 [7.80 %] (15 min) Hops 9.6 IBU

30.00 gm Cascade -2008 [7.80 %] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU

30.00 gm Amarillo - 2008 [8.60 %] (10 min) Hops 6.0 IBU

30.00 gm Amarillo - 2008 [8.60 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU

20.00 gm Amarillo - 2008 [8.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

20.00 gm Cascade -2008 [7.80 %] (0 min) Hops -

30.00 gm Amarillo - 2008 [8.60 %] (Dry Hop 4 days)Hops -

30.00 gm Cascade -2008 [7.80 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -

30.00 gm Centennial [9.70 %] (Dry Hop 4 days) Hops -

0.25 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc

0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
2 Pkgs American Ale (CraftBrewer #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My System Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 7.70 kg
----------------------------
My System Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.08 L of water at 78.2 C 66.7 C
[/codebox]

Give this a whirl, i'm going to make it again this weekend after a long hiatus, it's all i could think of wanting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trans-Pacific IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/05/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Gibbo
Boil Size: 30.29 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 57.4 %
0.80 kg Munich Malt - 10L (25.0 EBC) Grain 13.1 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 13.1 %
0.30 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC) Grain 4.9 %
0.30 kg Carared (39.4 EBC) Grain 4.9 %
0.20 kg Caramunich Malt (160.0 EBC) Grain 3.3 %
20.00 gm Super Alpha [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 27.6 IBU
30.00 gm Simcoe [13.00%] (10 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
6.00 gm Galaxy [15.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 10.5 IBU
6.00 gm Simcoe [13.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.1 IBU
30.00 gm Galaxy [15.00%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
40.00 gm Simcoe [13.00%] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs US05 American Ale Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.9 %
Bitterness: 62.2 IBU
Est Color: 21.3 EBC

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 5.90 kg
Sparge Water: 12.19 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 15.39 L of water at 74.2 C 66.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 8.62 L of water at 96.2 C 75.6 C 10 min

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here's a review from Muggus it received in the 2009 Xmas in july case swap

Beer: 21. Gibbo Trans Pacific IPA
Date: 10th August 2009
Details: 750ml crownseal Coopers bottle. Gold cap w/ label "Gibbo's Trans-pacific IPA 5.9%"

Notes:
Served lightly chilled in pint glass.
Convincing psst on opening.
Dense creamy offwhite head floats majestically atop a copper body. Only the slightest haziness straightup.

Very nice hop nose, packed full of plenty passionfruit, ripe nectarine, grapefruit, pineapple and melon. Not overly woody or grass, which is always nice. Some malt hangs around in the background, biscuity and caramel-like, seemingly only to compliment the hops.

Moderate soft carbonation lends a smoothness to the texture, body is full and has a slight malt chewiness, though probably a bit less that expected from the style.

Once again hops are the main event on palate. Lots more passionfruit, ripe stonefruit and bitter citrus, very well intergrated with caramel malts. Finishes a touch grassy, clean yeast profile, hint of minerally dryness and reasonably high yet welcoming bitterness lingers.

Really well balanced hop and malt character, one of those beers that borders on APA and IPA; not as much body and bitterness as an IPA but certainly packs the flavour punch. Excellent beer either way, really sets the mark high for the rest of the case. Cheers Gibbo!

Back