7 Hills "beer Factory" New Enterprise?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinsUp

Reaction score
Driving down Station Rd (7Hills) today saw this 'BEER FACTO' (sign work in progress) googled it later at work.....
Beer Factory Blog
are these common ? anybody else used this type of service ? :beer: cheers Dave

Driving down Station Rd (7Hills) today saw this 'BEER FACTO' (sign work in progress) googled it later at work.....
Beer Factory Blog
are these common ? anybody else used this type of service ? :beer: cheers Dave

First time post as an add, thats novel.

Read the blog and its an ad as well .

Its an extract based beer from what i can tell so its not really how the real brewers do it.
Real micro's use grains and mashem.

A brew-it-yourself shop has recently opened in my town.

Went in and chatted with the guy who owns it and found that he has a MLT on site!

The main part of his business, I guess, would be extract. I noticed three 200 litre drums of Coopers extract on the premises.

Well set up with fermenting rooms and bottling/kegging equipment.

A guy I know threw a birthday party for his wife there!

From the blog:
Apparently it’s not unusual to lose a reasonable percentage of the beer during the bottling process, especially if you bring a few mates along to help.

Pretty sure I read this exact same text somewhere... maybe the Perth Brew On Premises mob? Can't find the URL now... but yeah. Seems like something a franchise would drop out to its franchisors.

EDIT: this is near enough:
http://www.ubrewit.com.au/process/process-step-four/

We are such an unsanitary lot too... Post Modern I wondered what that smell was when you were over last...

Better be unsanitary and brew again tomorrow just to keep the infections primed to perfection.

Yeah homebrewing is unsanitary, that's what they say. I usually keep some infected yeast sludge in my coat pocket. Maybe that was the smell? I like to squish it around and have it ready to pitch into anything fermentable. Sorry about the stains on your sofa Scotty.

We have a number of brew-on-premises places in Perth and have had for a few years. They do use extract. I have asked at a couple of them if they would ever consider doing full mash and they reckon not because it takes too long, though a couple of them do use some specialty grains.

I have done a couple of brews there. The beer is OK, but I can still taste the extract tang, which is why I only do AG at home now. AG works out cheaper and is definately still better.

There's been one on the Northern Beaches in Sydney for sometime. I can imagine that it would appeal to those living in apartments etc and those who don't want to invest in equipment Won't be a bad thing if it gets more people into brewing.

Big question - should beers brewed this way qualify for Brewing Competitions ?

Cheers

T

I don't see why not if you formulate the recipe yourself. It is just as valid a way of brewing as kits, extracts and AG, and they all qualify.

There's been one on the Northern Beaches in Sydney for sometime. I can imagine that it would appeal to those living in apartments etc and those who don't want to invest in equipment Won't be a bad thing if it gets more people into brewing.

Cheers

T

I hear they are doing very well too. You have to book up to six weeks in advance if you want to brew at the weekend. Also heard a rumour they are looking to open another one at Brookvale.

Beers,
Doc

This got stuck in my craw......From THEIR blog

"I can see this appealing to two groups of people.........

*People who have made their own beer at home, who want to see how real brewing is done*"

And this gem......

"I will say this, however. If people are impressed with the beer I can make in my loungeroom, they will be blown away by the apparatus at the beer factory."

I have no problems with BOPs. I do have a problem with this little gem's attempt at gaining market recognition.

He's done two things that piss me off: one is to sell his operation leveraging himself against homebrew; and secondly the spam/lies such as this thread and the contents of the blog. Both the same person, as far as I can tell, and both using deception to sell the service. Boo!

I think "The Beer Factory" should come and join the forum as himself, or stay away entirely.

Sounds very interesting I might have to pop my head in for a peek.

@ $150 sounds very expensive + addatives.

Would rather spend $150 and convert to a AG setup

I love this

Then you add the yeast, and place the fermentor into the fermenting room - a 16.2C sealed room which allows the yeast to work at its best.

16.2 - great for lager fermentation and lagering :rolleyes:

What a load, might get more people into brewing, but really drawing a distinction between this and "homebrew" stuff is a bit off - i bet most people's AG is probably going to be better than the output from this. This is the old "dad and uncle's shit homebrew" tag that is unnecessarily weighed against all homebrewed beer.

He certainly hasn't been back to defend himself or cry innocent.
Any one PM'd him ?

I just popped him a PM asking him to clarify his position.

NO! Definitely not. These places let you select one of their 200 recipes, not formulate your own. Even if you formulated your own, it is professional equipment and goes against the spirit of amateur comps.

But then, I am also yet to be convinced that it is a valid thing to enter kit-based beer in comps. Do cake comps accept entries made from cake mixes? This is not meant to denigrate kit brewing, just to suggest that I have my doubts about it as a thing to base a competition around. I know that is an argument I'll never win though, so hold your flame-throwers.

Steve

[. I know that is an argument I'll never win though, so hold your flame-throwers.

Steve
[/quote]

Steve - all viewpoints are legitimate and helpful.

Putting aside the BOP issue for a moment, as far as kit brewers go, I'm am concerned that we should be encouraging them to do better and eventually gain the skills and confidence to move into more complex forms of the art. Maybe brewing comps are not the way to go, but if the judges do their job correctly, its an opportunity for them to get impartial and usefull feedback. As with ANWABS ( thanks Wee Stu for your help) I am only planning on having two kit categories.

As far as BOP brews are concerned, well they are still new to the scene and they still have to go up against AG beers in open competition. I am inclined to exclude them, but still consulting.

Cheers

T

We had one of those in Adelaide. Went out of business I think. Was too damn expensive for what you got

cheers

Darren

Back