56 Or 78 Litre Biab Pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalfish

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have managed to find a place where I can get either a 56L or 78L Stainless stock pot pretty cheaply, and i want to use it for a BIAB setup.
There is only 15 dollars difference but with a base diameter of 415mm vs 470mm I was wondering if the bigger one may be a bit too big for a 3 ring burner?
Hoping to hear from some experienced brewers on this matter. :icon_cheers:

Thanks in Advance, Tribal.

Surely go the biggest you can, to allow for double batches with enough headspace for a rolling boil.

I would go the larger for an extra $15.

Cannot comment on the burner diameter, however surely a wider diameter pot would lead to more heat hitting the base of the pot?

The bigger pot will also be of greater use in your tiered/pumped AG system in the near future! :icon_cheers:

Did our first double batch in our 60ltr pot on the weekend! Gee I wish I went the 70lt but it still worked well and no boil overs ..... I cant do double batches on my own though... Just pouring the grain in was hard for me. Trying to get it out! NO!

78L or in 6 months time you'll kick yourself.

+1 for the 78L

if your boiling double batches you will want the space

dont worry about the burner it will get it to the boil it just might take longer for double batches

I use a 2 ring and an immersion element on a keggle and it works fine

Thanks for everyone's input, 78 it is then!
Off to the shop then. I can just see my Wife's face now, :eek: walking in with a pot that's bigger than our eldest child!!

Tribal.

78 will be fine - OK for single bathces and perfect for doubles - I have seen spillsmostofit brew a lot of BIAB beer in his 76 litre pot.

Your evaporation rate might be pretty high with that much surface area - just so you aren't surprised if it's higher than you expect it to be. Do a test boil so you know whats coming.

TB

Did our first double batch in our 60ltr pot on the weekend! Gee I wish I went the 70lt but it still worked well and no boil overs ..... I cant do double batches on my own though... Just pouring the grain in was hard for me. Trying to get it out! NO!

How much grain was in that? 8ish kgs?

How much grain was in that? 8ish kgs?

Double batch I would've thought to be closer to 10 - 12 kg of grain mark if AG. Plus the weight of the water in the grains - would be over 20kg in the end I'd imagine.
2c.

Back