50ltr Beer Chiller Box

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsnap

Reaction score
im looking for a chiller box for a 50ltr beer keg, ( not the gas one ) just the one you connect to keg that runs through box with ice in it to a tap, can anyone help with where i can buy one in melbourne. thanks

They tend to be horrifically expensive to buy new.

CQS has them (Heidelberg West, 9458 3488) but they'll want your first-born for them. eBay is worth a try, if you can wait. They are usually called pluto or jockey boxes. You can build one yourself cheaply enough - other folks here can probably even help you find parts - it's basically either a coil of stainless tubing or an alloy plate with internal channels. Add a couple of fiitings and an esky (and ice) and you're good to go.

They tend to be horrifically expensive to buy new.

CQS has them (Heidelberg West, 9458 3488) but they'll want your first-born for them. eBay is worth a try, if you can wait. They are usually called pluto or jockey boxes. You can build one yourself cheaply enough - other folks here can probably even help you find parts - it's basically either a coil of stainless tubing or an alloy plate with internal channels. Add a couple of fiitings and an esky (and ice) and you're good to go.
thanks heaps for that, much appreciated

I think they're also known as Temprite's.
Atleast thats what my old-man called them in his bar work days.
My Granddad used to have one but it went out in the trash, DOH!

miracle box is full of ice and portable
temprite is a big box plugged into the wall running glycol

Thanks for the correction.
Thought the ones ya used to get when taking a party keg home had the same name.

i thought temprite was a refridgeration company, im sure ive seen a water cooler/bubbler with a temprite badge on it more than once

your best bet is to make one. All you need is an esky, tap, line, stainless coil or plate and gas bottle. From what i understand the coils are better when you are serving a higher volume of beer as they hold more and you dont need to keep the keg cold as with the plate(not tested). Ive used ones with the plate and taken a keg from a coldroom and tapped it at least 12 hours later and it was fine. have a look at morebeer.com they sell the parts you need. I think if you looked around you could put one together for about $300.

Back